Forum home Plants

New Buxus - Root sread

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813
Not sure if this is in the right category but here goes

On another thread you have given me good advice on a new pond I have nearly completed on my allotment and this is related

The pond is some 40 foot from the hauling-way......posh word for path.......and I am going to plant some Buxus...Box... so the children cant see it and thereby risk a watery death

Buxus apparently can grow to 5 foot but I will keep it to 2 or 3 foot for my purpose

Question..............if I keep the height down will that restrict the spread of the roots as they will be next to the pond liner and I dont want them puncturing the liner and the underlay

I appreciate that the roots will initially be soft as all plants are but in a few years it will still be a hedge and I dont want to see the water level dropping after lots of hard work

Over to you friends
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• You haven't said how close to the liner you're planting.  Regardless, I'd be very surprised if you had issues with anything that small unless you've lined your pond with crepe paper! If you're worried just plant them a little deeper and not right up against the liner.
  • RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,596
    I think Buxus tend to have fibrous shallow roots. We have some in pots here, grown from small bought plants and also cuttings. They are around ten to twelve years old and still do not have big thick roots. (Pots being around 8 to 10 inches diameter, plants kept about a foot tall not going out to measure too cold!)

As BobFlannigon said I also cannot imagine you would have problems.
    Perhaps a little root barrier, so you can distinguish from the liner or planted far enough from the pond liner, you could cut through them close to the pond if the need really arose.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    How old are your children now, this grows very slowly by the time it’s got to three ft tall
    the children may be able to swim.  Or were you planing on buying them at that height in the first place.?
    quote...
    Once the plant is established, buxus sempervirens will grow about 6 inches a year under reasonable growing conditions. In deep shade, very poor soil and very exposed sites, the growth rate is lower. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,882
    As Lyn says, they grow slowly, so it might be better to think of an alternative NBoy, if you need a barrier a bit sooner.
    Could you build a simple low fence instead - posts and chicken wire - to keep the children away, and you could still plant the box in front of that if you want to disguise the fence.
    Or put in an attractive small fence [picket?] so that they can look through into the pond, but can't climb it etc. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813
    Its the Rogue children that worry me when some parents believe that allotments are safe playgrounds for their little darlings to "go off and play India and Chelsea". Allotments are dangerous places with bamboo sticks etc
    We should encourage children off their PCs and into the natural world so they learn about nature 

I am going to speak with the liner suppliers to get their advice

Fairygirl and Lyn

They are 12 inches tall now and I can wait for them to grow so 18 inches by next summer will do the job...its just the roots 

Thanks for your concern but its for the safety of the allotmenteers and visitors children that I am doing this

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    They wont make 18” by next summer, they’ll spend the 1st year or so making roots. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.