Forum home Fruit & veg

non-dwarfing peach tree in pot

Hi all,
As part of my bare-root ordering frenzy a couple of months back, I couldn't resist ordering a Peregrine peach tree on an STJA rootstock. Given a general lack of suitable space, the plan was to put it in a large pot (say, 50cm). In addition to keeping it to a size I can accommodate, it means that I can, in theory, wheel it into the greenhouse for over-wintering (assuming a suitable sized door :-) ). I'm sure I recall reading around at the time and building up confidence that this was a viable option, but now that delivery is looming I'm starting to doubt myself and wanted to pick the brains of more experienced gardeners. 

Does anyone have any experience growing non-dwarfing peaches in a similar fashion, and if so would you recommend doing it? I gather I would need to prune it 'aggressively' to help keep it under control - and to hopefully allow me to get it through the door of my 11x8 greenhouse.

I was thinking of starting it off in, say, a 30cm pot with a 50/50 JI3/soil-less mix and then potting it on as it established. Does this sound a reasonable approach?

Thanks in advance!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,502
    The main problem with peach trees is that their flowers appear very early so they need frost protection and hand-pollinating which I did successfully last spring with two new  nectarines I have in pots but which I plan to plant out in later years.

Peaches can be fan trained, given the right pruning, so it should be possible to prune a pot grown tree to size.   Have a look at this info form the RHS as feeding and watering are going to be key to your success - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/peaches

and this advice specific to Peregrine - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=5776 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,648
    I may be missing the point, but if you want to grow it in a pot, wouldn't it have been better to get a dwarf root stock?
    Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • Hi punkdoc,
    No, you are very wise. I bought it because it was too much of a good price to refuse. And I thought if I didn't succeed, at least I would learn from my mistake - my most effective learning technique :-)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,800
    I don’t know if it applies to peaches, but certainly with pears the use of a dwarfing rootstock reduces the age at which a tree will fruit ... so without one you may wait a longer time to pick any peaches. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi Dovefromabove,
    I've heard the same thing, and I believe it applies in general, across the different fruits. However, I was hoping that the constraint of the pot, as with a fig, would persuade the tree to switch from growth mode into fruiting mode. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,321
    Orange pippin have some excellent advice on rootstocks for fruit trees in containers - there is now a move to using more vigorous ones and controlling tree size via the root restriction which naturally happens in containers.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi BobTheGardener,
    Brilliant! They're the site I found before and from which I gained my confidence in being able to grow one in a pot :-) Many thanks for sharing!