Black caps

I'm in Devon and am pleased to see a pair of black caps visiting the fat balls. Apart from the fat balls what else in the garden are they likely to feed on.   Are black caps common in your garden?   I leave my perennials for the seed-eaters and have seen many goldfinches feed on the verbena bonariensis.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,427
    We don't get them up here Virginia, but if you feed sunflower hearts, the goldfinches will certainly eat those, and possibly the black caps too.  :)
    They may eat a general type of seed mix too. 
    I'm sure osmeone else will be able to advise further, but you can also look at one of the RSPB sites, or similar, and you'll get extra info there.
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,661
    Fairygirl said:
    We don't get them up here Virginia, but if you feed sunflower hearts, the goldfinches will certainly eat those, and possibly the black caps too.  :)
    The goldfinches are pretty fierce but I don't think they eat blackcaps. ;)

I only get them in extremely cold weather when they eat suet pellets. I see them more at my parents' place as they've got some good mistletoe there which seems popular with them. Have a look at the link below, it's got a summary of the BTO study on their feeding habits.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 961
    We only get them at odd times, not resident. I am not sure what they eat here. I have seen them in the borders on shrubs, I think eating pyracantha berries.
    I have not watch them closely as I don't want to scare them off their brief visits. The are rather shy here. We have only seen one pair at a time.
    Sorry not much help, but I do like them with the little females being a brow cap...shhh a bit discriminatory ;)
  • Apples halved and impaled onto spikes in trees are excellent food for blackcaps. They also like raisins which have been soaked in warm water over-night. They will come to bird tables or eat off the ground if your feeders are safe from cats.
    Blackcaps in Britain are becoming more numerous in winter. They come in from central Europe rather than migrating into the Mediterranean where most of those which breed with us go.
    They are warblers and as such have a delightful if scratchy song in spring.
  • VirginiaJoyVirginiaJoy DevonPosts: 21
    Thank you all for your comments and for your link 'wild edges' - which was really interesting to view.    I feel that I know much more about them now. 
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875
    Tim.earl is correct. I agree with all of what he says. Lucky you to have a winter Blackcap! Wish I did.

• nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 752
    Two of them arrived here and remained in the garden all through last winter,..Dunnock's as well,..the latter are very quiet and remain apart from Sparrows in particular.

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 818
    Lovely photos @nultyphilip224 Never seen them around this area.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,510
    The Black Caps also enjoy sunflower hearts - so do Sparrows and blue & great tits in our garden. Lovely pictures @nultyphilip224
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,427
    Fairygirl said:
    the goldfinches will certainly eat those, and possibly the black caps too.  :)
    The goldfinches are pretty fierce but I don't think they eat blackcaps. ;) 

:D 

I took a look at that link - really lovely. Seems they do like sunflower hearts  :)
    Not sure whether we would get them here, although itlooks possible from that link.

Lovely pix n.philip. Great to have such nice little visitors. 'Our' dunnocks are plentiful and quite lively.  :D

Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong