Christmas present

Watching nine year old Great Granddaughter as Mary in the Nativity Play my mind wandered as they sang their way through it.
In this to me slightly weird PC world we who call a spade a spade would now because of its connotations have to call it a digging implement.
The twelve days of Christmas would need a complete change as some non meat eaters would object to all those dead birds.
I saw Mummy kissing Santa Claus, "What" mummy kissing a stranger who appeared from the chimney behind Dads back? Back to the Nativity.
Surely Mary could be played gender free, the three wise men "ahem" would need to be different genders, and the gifts something for the homeless. This all came into my head because of the uproar about "Baby it's cold outside".
The Play was wonderful my Great Granddaughter a star, our family recognise Christmas for what it is meant to be not a commercial event, I never heard any PC comments but they will be watching.
I would say peruse the words of all those Carols before singing as most will have something to upset some one.
Merry Christmas Frank.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,729
    No worse than inviting a stranger in a red suit & facial disguise, to come to your house at the dead of night, a take mince pies & drink your sherry.
    Happy Christmas anyway!
    AB Still learning

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414
    "Oops" I thought the reindeer drank the sherry and put it in a bucket, no wonder the sledge runner marks in the snow were a bit zig zaggy.
    Frank
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 870
    Glad to hear you had a lovely time, and Merry Christmas to you and yours Frank.
    Though we don't do much in the way of celebrations we do respect that others enjoy it for various reasons.

I go from mildly amused to despair sometimes.
    I was going to mention that song too, but didn't know what it was called. I heard about the uproar on the radio a couple of days ago and chose to forget all about it before I got all Victor Meldrew. 
    Don't get me started on Bah Bah Black sheep, was to do with woolen tax in the 1700's? as far as I was concerned, so long ago.

The Ladies dancing and Lords a leaping and drummers drumming will probably get ASBOs for keeping the neighbours awake :D
  • It's the time of Christmas, the time to enjoy, spread happiness and forget your worries and let destiny play it's a role. Merry Christmas.
    Rubytoo yes indeed I enjoyed seeing some of the grandchildren dance, some swim and all enjoy Christmas for what it is as we were all brought up to, the correct meaning now lost in the mad rush of black Fridays that last a week and Christmas stuff being sold off to get the Easter goods in. It all makes me sad.
    Our Christmas will be full Family affair, there may be a few sore heads on Boxing Day from over much rum in the Christmas pudding, (well that is my excuse) though it will be about the children, all that matters, I do not belong in this me me world and definitely not in the PC world, all this apologising that really means nothing for things done long before my time drive me up the wall.
    I do hope you all have a good Christmas (Vegans look away) we will be having Turkey, Beef, Ham and lashings of sprouts with maybe yes just maybe a wee dram for the old man, Me.
    Best wishes Frank.
  • B3B3 Posts: 7,954
    edited December 2018
    Baby It's Cold Outside always seemed a bit sleazy to me. Attitudes change. I can't see Gigi being too popular now either. Although it, also, made me feel a bit uncomfortable too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3, My Father would take me to the first house at the Hippodrome live entertainment which was supposedly toned down for the first house, much of the music and song would have been banned under the present PC rulers, the comedians definitely as they mocked disability, unfortunate trends and natural human habits.
    The pantomimes of that time and into my children's time were very near the knuckle and with men playing Dames, Women playing Peter Pan and hero's would have caused debate today. It did me nor my children any harm we all grew up as very rounded personalities.
    The films we saw from being children, Indian's always losing, Gunga Din, Even Gone with the wind can you imagine the uproar they would cause and yet we have gruesome murder stories, men and women turning into impossible beings and doing impossible things violently on TV classed as classics. How many standards do we work by?
    As a pianist I loved a good tune, at parties we sang the words that went with the tune, it was not a word for word analysis it was letting your hair down, why dissect everything.
    What frightens me is the rise of hatred for religious groups, people of different colour, the loss of freedom of speech, University discussion groups getting speakers to sign papers to say they will not cause worry to the minority, yet nobody is speaking up for the majority who lets face it do call a spade a spade and hate being lectured to about what we should think or say or even do. Rant over. No a PS, or even eat.
    Frank. 

• B3B3 Posts: 7,954
    I realise that times change and we cannot judge the past by our present mores but we can look at it differently bearing in mind what we have learnt.
    Knocking down statues and the like disturbs me. I feel that we should acknowledge our past, however uncomfortable, learn from it and move on. If it is obliterated, how can future generations avoid repeating it ?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    It's really easy to complain about things being 'too PC' these days when it wasn't you being mocked or abused back in the 'good old days'.  

And yeah, a song about a man nagging a woman to have sex with him is not romantic.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,403
    A song about a man concerned for a young lady's welfare when she's planning on walking home in a blizzard because of what busy bodies will assume about her is banned because busy bodies are assuming things about the man's motives.