Curmudgeon' s Corner. I blame it on the heat. (3)

GW-TeamGW-Team London, United Kingdom.Posts: 17 admin
Hello everyone,

This is a continuation of the original thread started by @B3 , which can be found here:

Now that it has reached well over 1000 posts, it's time to move it to a new home.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,204
    Thank you Team.   No grumps so far today except that the pink streaky stuff at sunset has not lived up to its promise.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,176
    Cummon @GW-Team . We had a poll to change the thread title and everything. At least pretend you're paying attention  :p
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,682
    I find it hard to be a curmudgeon today. As you may remember we are just back from the Christmas markets in Budapest & Vienna, so glad we were not in Strasbourg!
    AB Still learning
     Many mists in march -many frosts in May
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 2,574
    Indeed, AB, it puts things in perspective. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,933
    Just got home from a farcical time with our GP surgery.  About a year ago 3 surgeries combined "In order to provide a more effective service to the community" at least that's what it said in the letter.  Since that time it has become more and more difficult to get through on the phone, let alone get an appointment.
    Anyway, my wife has been seeing one specific doctor for some time in order to get continuity of treatment for her issue.  This doctor sent my wife for two sets of blood tests following a change in medication and told her to call for the results.  My wife called and was told she would need to see a doctor to get the results.  Because is was apparently urgent my wife was sent to another practice surgery today and saw a different doctor.  The doctor asked what he could do for my wife, this after the person making the appointment had said the doctor needed to see her.  What's the point of having notes on the system?
    Today's appointment lasted all of 2 minutes as this doctor said my wife will need to see the original GP as that GP has knowledge of the case.  Why wasn't that put on the system for when my wife phoned for the test results?  Muggins here decided to drive round to our surgery to make the appointment rather than hanging on the phone for ages.  I walked in, the 'Appointments' desk was unmanned and I've never actually seen anybody at it, and the queue for the 'General Enquiries' desk (where you go to make appointments when the Appointments desk is closed) had at least 15 people waiting.  At that point I gave up and came home to have a good curmudgeonly rant.  I'll try to phone this afternoon and will probably then lose the will to live.  At least that will mean one less person on the surgery list. :#
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 2,574
    But hey, @KT53, this is what improvements are all about ! Seriously though, you have my sympathy,  we have a doctor's surgery that did something very similar and l know exactly how you feel.
    After yesterday's shenanigans, in spite of another early start, the sun is shining and l am feeling like totes less curmudge innit.  :)
    Just given up trying to phone the surgery.  First call I was greeted with music.  No message, just music so gave up after about 5 minutes.  Called again about 40 minutes later and got the automated 'Press 1 for appointments'.  Pressed one, and for the next 10 minutes listened to a repeating message that I was at position 12 in the queue.  At that rate I could be holding for 2 hours to get through.  Bad enough for somebody who isn't working, but how the **** are people who are working supposed to make appointments?  Now actively looking to see if we can change surgery!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,555
    I am very lucky that even living in a small village (pop. around 3000), we have 5 doctors at the only surgery. They aim to give you an appointment in 2 days and if urgent, see you that day. For non-urgent stuff you can book a particular doctor ahead, on the website. I phoned last week at about 3.30pm as I was a bit(!!) concerned. Told my story to the receptionist, she said just come down and wait as they had no appointments left that day. I sat for barely 10 mins before I was ushered in. Can't fault that at all. I was back home in 20 mins having been seen to and been to the chemist for tablets.  
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 14,205
    Phoned GP surgery this afternoon to arrange a telephone consultation re medication with GP.  He will contact me tomorrow morning.
    SW Scotland
    To get any appointment at our GP surgery you have to phone as early as possible, wait on the phone for up to 15 minutes assuming you don't get the engaged tone, explain the reason you need to consult a doctor to a person with no medical qualification who then decides whether it is to be classed as urgent or not.  If they decide it's urgent they will either make an appointment for that day or inform you that a doctor will call you back.  If the doctor has to call you then won't give you any timeframe for the call.  Currently non-urgent appointments are being made for the 2nd week of January at the earliest.  If it ain't urgent now, it will be by the time you're seen!
This discussion has been closed.