Post arrived opened!

We've received quite a few Christmas cards already.  Some people must be far more organised than we are.  No problem with any of them until yesterday morning when one of them had been opened and resealed, quite carefully as it wasn't immediately obvious.  That card obviously had something other than just the card inside, it was in fact just a letter about what the family had been up to in the past 12 months.  Maybe I'm just overly suspicious but gut feeling is that somewhere along the line somebody had been checking for 'usable' contents.  No point reporting it as (a) nothing was missing and (b) it could have happened at any stage in its 400 mile journey to us.

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 970
    Or maybe the sender sealed the envelope, realised they’d forgotten to include the letter and carefully opened it up again.
  • I would just move on. And it's not gardening related!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,688
    edited December 2018
    Posts in the Potting Shed don’t have to be gardening related ... that’s what it’s for  :)

@KT53 Why not mention it to the sender? You might find that Picidae was right and then your mind would be at rest and you can trust the Postie again.
     Alternatively if the sender did include a winning lottery ticket you can jump up and down and shout at the Royal Mail and we’ll help ‘cos we’re your best friends  o:);)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,211
    I'd agree with Dove, KT. If you cna check up on it, it would set yourmind at rest.
    I'd like to think we don't have unreliable postmen/women, but you can never tell. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2018
    Dove is probably right @KT53 . I've done that myself, realised l forgot to include a note with a card, managed to unseal it and restuck it with prittstick or whatever. And as others have said, it would put your mind at rest, providing you have contact details for the sender of course! 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,864
    I know the sender well.  If they had reopened the envelope they would have taped it closed.  Fairygirl, the vast majority of postal staff are entirely trustworthy but there are always a few bad apples, plus there are many temporary staff at this time of year.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218
    edited December 2018
    I really resent the modern way of making you recite the litany of what you have put in a parcel, down to the last insignificant and worthless item. And if, like me, your short term memory is shot and you hesitate for so much as a second, they bark questions at you like Nazi interrogators in a 1950s B movie. “And?” “What else?” “Are you sure you didn’t include any sprays? Inflammable materials? Dynamite? Pickled gall stones?”  

Gone are the days when you just packed up your paltry gift and quietly slipped it over the post office counter, safe in the knowledge that your fellow customers could not silently tot up the monetary value of the generosity of your human spirit and find it wanting and you a skinflint of the first order.

I often feel like declaring entirely spurious contents, of a particularly unpleasant nature, just to put them off their morning coffee.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,771
    pansyface said:

I often feel like declaring entirely spurious contents, of a particularly unpleasant nature, just to put them off their morning coffee.
    By all means tell them solemnly that you're posting your granny's toenails but I would strongly caution against making flippant remarks about dynamite or - worse - phone batteries. The response is akin to what happens if you attempt sarcasm at an airport when they ask you if you packed the bag yourself. Machine guns, strip searches, long waits in freezing cells, that sort of thing.
    You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218
    😊

Fortunately, I am banned on medical grounds from ever flying again. One benefit of being ill.😁

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,356
    Well going from experience anything written on the package will be ignored so your description of contents is safe from prying eyes. If they don't read 'FRAGILE' 'KEEP UPRIGHT' etc in bright bold letters then the small print listing the bizarre stuff you've decided to post won't be of interest to them.

My postman is a lovely chap but has a terrible habit of wandering the streets in the rain with a handful of letters gradually turning to mush. Still I'd rather that than have the postman we used to have at the office who once waved his penis at me. :#