Forum home Plants

Leptospermum Grandiflorum or scoparium

Is anyone familiar with these plants - I have just some pictures of them, they look lovely - are they easy to grow, and will they grow in a heavy soil?  Any pictures and estimated sizing would be appreciated.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,145
    Hello GD 2
    As no-one else has bothered to answer your question , I thought I'd let you know of my experience with the white-flowering L.scoparium !
    I live near the East coast of England so I suppose you may describe our climate as maritime ;); the shrub mentioned is quite a sprawling species ; best to trim after flowering to maintain a degree of compactness .
    My soil is a fairly light neutral to slightly acidic loam ; properties here were built in the '30s on the site of very old orchards . Maybe decades of falling apples infused the ground with malic acid (!) .
    Anyway , back to the point here ; Leptospermums need light slightly acid soil , shelter from cold winds and full sunshine if possible .
    Your climate would probably be ideal aside the gales you probably get ; a sheltering wall would help .
    Hope this bit of info helps !
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

My apologies Lyn ; never though to look 'in' the potting shed ! :s
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Not to worry, guessed you didn’t, I always just choose Forum Home, that gives you all the posts. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Apologies Paul, I did post this question in two categories - in error, and I have had a few replies as Lyn says.  After reading them, I have decided to pass on this plant - the flowers look gorgeous and were in bloom near where I live just recently.  However our soil is fairly heavy apart from in the veg patch where over the years we have dug in mountains of compost, manure and mushroom compost, so it is of a lighter texture than in the flower beds, although we are working on them to enrich and lighten the heavy structure. I think I will stick to easy grow plants, which require less maintenance, as we have so many other projects on the go at the moment.
    However thank you for sharing your information on this plant, it is always good to read other's experiences isn't it.
    GD2     No problem at all ; the mistake was totally mine .
    Good gardening!!  ;)