Leptospermum Grandiflora or Scoparum

Does anyone grow these - I have just seen pictures and the plants look interesting.  Are they easy to grow and would they grow in heavy soil?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,824
    I bought one once. It was a decent sized plant, about three feet tall when I got it.

We were living in London where the winter weather is usually fairly mild and the garden was south facing and enclosed by other gardens.

It flowered well in the summer and grew with enthusiasm.

But in the winter it just turned up its toes and died. I have no idea why. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,330
    That is interesting pansy/face, thanks for the caution.  I have seen a picture of this plant, thought that the flowers looked lovely and would like to find out more about the plant - experiences etc.  I read that it likes a light loam, well drained soil, which we don't have, but wondered if it would thrive anyway if I dug in some grit/gravel/sand, but from your experience with it, perhaps this would not be the case.  I look forward to any further comments.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,612
    I had a beautiful one called Donna, it lived against my kitchen wall in the ground. It must have been protected there and also had the benefit I suppose of the pipe taking hot water from the sink and washing machine to the drain. Soil was dry and had lots of hardcore in. The bees loved it. Moved it when it got too big and it died that same winter. 

I have an original flavour type with white flowers, in my front garden. That one looks more like the trees I have seen in NZ, mean and twisty. That one gets no protection whatsoever but is a good deal less bountiful than Donna was. Tougher though, maybe  :) That plant is in claybased soil that parches in summer, heavy in winter.
    I like the idea of the bees loving your Donna Victoria Sponge, however from what I have read here the plant seems to be temperamental and I am not too sure whether to invest in one - we have such a large garden to keep going that I tend to concentrate on fairly hardy and easy to grow plants.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,612
    Yes, I was tempted to buy another to replace the one I lost but thought twice. I'm in North East England if that helps with regards conditions, just north of Co Durham. 

I don't find them especially attractive when not in flower, although they make up for it when they do  :)
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,687
    Same experience as @pansyface here. Had one in the garden which lasted half a season. :/ Too temperamental a plant for my taste. I do not recommend it.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    I have only seen pictures of this plant - it was in flower and did look quite stunning, but have had second thoughts and perhaps won't buy one.  We have quite a few projects on the go at the mo so I don't feel I want to take on anything too demanding plant wise.  Thanks for all your helpful comments - it is always good to sound out before trying  anything new. That's what is so good about this forum - receiving feedback on various issues from all angles.