Forum home Problem solving

What rot?

I’ve inherited a small greenhouse with several established plants/small trees in it. Just wondering if anyone know what is attacking this particular one and whether it is curable or needs to be dug up (not sure what tree it is)? Many thanks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,227
    It looks like a plum tree. But why a plum tree would be in a greenhouse is a mystery.

No idea what the infection is but the original wound looks like a stress fracture.

Not good. 

I’d dig it up.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I agree with PF.  If that light coloured stuff is like wood dust, then it also has a beetle grub (borer) of some kind which is eating the heartwood of the trunk from inside, leaving it with no strength.  Hoik it out.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks guys
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    I wonder if it's crept in from outside Jimboss. It looks like there's a tree [?] outside, unless I'm misreading the pic.
    Either way - yes, it's not good, so out with it and plant something you like, that's healthy,  next year  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Fairygirl. The tree outside is a kiwi fruit tree. Looks different to the one inside. I think I will dig it up and start again!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    Fair enough Jimboss! I couldn't see the whole thing well enough.
    An opportunity for something new then  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    That tree looks very big for inside a GH, what is it like at the top or is it a very tall GH? 
    I wonder if someone popped a stone or pip in the soil many years ago. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.