Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden gone!

2»

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    Cowboy builders. It would have been very little effort for them to prop your garden until they could backfill. Get plenty of photos in case you do have to put in a claim under the party wall act. If you weren't notified and given the chance to appoint surveyors to oversee the work then they've failed in their duty under the act. They should have provided a Coal Mining risk assessment as part of their planning or building regs applications if you are in a risk area. If they're not putting in reinforced foundations then it's a good bet that the mining risk is low.

In 2016 I lost a couple of metres of garden into the neighbours' excavations when they dug a 3 metre retaining wall in next to my land. Luckily we're on good terms and we'd agreed everything in advance. Even then it was quite an imposition but he let me recover all the good walling stone they dug out and the builders even stacked it for me so I ended up benefitting from it eventually.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Taken lots of pics. We've had a mine survey which was ok,so insurance is valid.
    He shored it up initially,but we had days and nights of non stop torrential rain,which washed all the soil away.
    We also agreed everything in advance,wishing to remain on good terms with neighbours. But you never know!

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    Have you had any feedback yet @Valley Gardener ?
  • Well it's all been backfilled now,so hoping the next lot of rain doesn't wash it away!The council know about the building work,and are checking the foundations before more work is done,which apart from being  a bit of an imposition has settled our minds!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    That's good Valley Gardener,at least it's being investigated. Fingers crossed ! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Good that it's not going unnoticed V.Gardener. Hope you don't have any more problems, now or in the future. 
    Not what you need - especially over winter, when the weather can exacerbate ground conditions.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...