Christmas garden decorations

Hi all,

Id like to put a few Christmas light decorations up in the garden but wanted some advice.  Perhaps a reindeer, lights in the trees, fairly subdued compared to our rather more ostentatious residents.

Are battery powered lights reasonably priced/economic?

Where to buy?  Garden centres seem extra pricey.

Any lessons you’ve learned I can benefit from?

Seasons greetings,

TP

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,394
    Try looking online for alternatve power source lights and check the reviews for durability and quality.   The rest is down to taste.   Personally, I think reindeer and co look really daft on a suburban front lawn and their design is usually pretty naff too but if you like them, you go for it. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021
    I only use static white lights in the garden [and in the house]. I buy them from the cheapo shop - Home Bargains - and they're pretty good. I've also bought some online, and they've been very reasonable. 
    I also have battery ones, and as long as you have one of those special outdoor multi sockets for plugging into, or something really waterproof for the battery holder, they're also very good. I got them in HBs too. I find cheapo batteries are fine in them too, and last quite well. They come on for 6 hours and switch off automatically, so you put them on at the time you want them starting. You can override it though and have them on constantly.
    The odd, simply lit reindeer here and there, or two or three together,  is ok I think.
    Santas hanging off roofs, laser effects aimed at the house,  and flashing reindeer aren't for me, but each to their own.
    If you're going all out trashy - then go for it properly with Noddy shouting # It's Chriiiiistmaaaas for hours as well !  :D

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

There's a garden centre in La Roche that had a beautifully lit up Santa's sleigh at its entrance last year.  Pity about the pair of fibre glass cows they had pulling it along............
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 962
    Is it true that in December Essex can be seen from space?!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,771
    the supermarkets are usually selling them quite cheap by now.
    You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,446
    If you've got a Wilkos or The Range nearby (other stores are available),  they have a reasonable choice of outdoor decorations, but l don't know how they compare to your garden centre pricewise. They are starting to reduce the prices, but of course you are dependent on what they've got left .
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,066

I wont be going quite this far.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021
    Tin pot said:

I wont be going quite this far.
    Why ever not?  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,446
    Shame !
    No ambition, some people.