More plant ID please 🌿

1. Lovely yellow flowers. About 2ft tall. Friend or foe?!

2. Iris?! Another inherited plant I know nothing about...

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,455
    1) is a type of evening primrose - a friend for me but some can be a bit invasive.
    2) looks like carex pendula?  Not sure but I treat those as foes.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 949
    Agree with Bob.
    Think yours is Oenothora biennis is the common evening primrose. It does self seed around a fair bit but is easily pulled up whether large or small. They have a longish tap root so if you want to keep seedlings or move plants keep that in mind, best relocated  when smaller. As the name suggests it is biennial.
    Silver Y moths love it, I am sure other moths do to, but we notice the first a lot here.
    If you remember to pinch out a few the display of extra stems is worth it.

And agree with Bob about the Carex, though I admit we keep one here. There are better things.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 210
    Thanks Rubytoo and Bob, really helpful. 
    Now you mention evening primrose, I cannot believe I didn't recognise the flower!  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,400
    I'd agree re the carex. They can be very invasive if allowed to seed around. Those very fine, long stems rising above the main foliage, are the seeding stems. The seeds appear as long, pendulous brown tassels. If you remove those, it prevents it spreading around  :)
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 210
    Thanks Fairygirl, I agree...it has to go. Shame that most of the plants I've inherited are either weeds, thugs, prolific pains in the backside or dead!
    So far I have only unearthed 2 knackered roses and 1 primrose...plus several hardy geraniums and many bulbs (all carefully transplanted into pots, for now).
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    It's only a weed if it's in the wrong place.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!