Forum home Problem solving

TOO MUCH PASSION!

Having finally cut down and removed the tomato plants I have been left with the Passion Flower vines from 2 original stems (that wound around the toms).Apparently cutting back 1/3 late winter is advised.  When is that exactly and should I retain all the old leaves?  

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,876
    Late winter is just before early spring :)
    so I take it as being late-Jan to mid-Feb
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Depends where you are. Late winter here would be February into March. :)
    If you plump for February, you should be ok.
    However, more importantly, that's a helluva greenhouse you have! Fab  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,876
    PS - re the leaves. If they're healthy, leave them, just remove any dodgy ones.
    The more leaves, the more energy your plant will have when it starts growing again in spring.
    I think the idea behind - prune in late winter - is to ensure that the plant is at its most dormant. Acers are another example of best being pruned in late winter.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Now I'm rethinking - All the leaves are healthy, perhaps they should all be pulled up high and wound around the supports and wires?  Thanks for responding.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    I’d prune as soon as you notice buds beginning to swell. Given that it has the protection of a greenhouse that may be earlier than March.
     I’d leave it alone until pruning. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334
    Given the shelter of your stunning greenhouse, it'll grow like there's no tomorrow.
    It's a beast of a thing once it gets going. I've spent 7 years trying to kill one and it still appears every spring.
    Devon.
    edited December 2018
    @Hostafan1 if you check Old Compost‘s earlier threads you’ll see we decided that the passiflora in question is the rather more ‘choice’ Constance Elliot which is usually not as rampant as the more commonly seen type  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@Hostafan1 if you check Old Compost‘s earlier threads you’ll see we decided that the passiflora in question is the rather more ‘choice’ Constance Elliot which is usually not as rampant as the more commonly seen type  :)
    I stand corrected.
     :/ 
    Devon.
    Not correcting ... just passing on a bit of info  ;)

Not correcting ... just passing on a bit of info  ;)
     <3 
    Devon.