Cherry Laurel

matt1quirkmatt1quirk Posts: 5
Hi,
    I have had a problem with my cherry laurel the leaves are turning brown and dropping of , the stem that is left seems brittle and dry. It seems to be spreading does anyone know the cause or cure ? many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,436
    Hi Matt - need some more photos, including ones showing the whole shrub if you can. Also a bit more info about where they're growing [in the ground, containers? ] and in what kind of soil etc.
    Cherry laurel generally needs plenty of moisture, some reasonable soil, and some room to grow and establish well.   They get very big.  :)
    There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street
    I went in to see her as a kind of joke
    And she lit a candle for my love luck
    And eighteen bucks went up in smoke

• matt1quirkmatt1quirk Posts: 5
    Hi fairgirl and thanks , they are planted in a raised border at the front of the house in shade. They have been there for 5 years and up to now doing fine, the rest seem fine at the moment, as for soil it was backfilled with general topsoil .

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,245
    Did they get given lots of water during the prolonged summer drought?  
    If not I suspect that may be the problem.
    The soil will have dried out and even tho we’ve had lots of rain since the dense leaves of the laurel will have acted as an umbrella ... I think that below the surface that soil is probably very dry. 
    "Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon

Hi Dove thanks it did only happen this year although I did water every week in the summer. Are they dead or will they grow back many thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,245
    How much water did they get?  They will have needed at least a bucket full per plant a couple of times a week in the very hot dry conditions we had this year. Also bricks absorb moisture from the soil so that will have worsened the problem. 
    Id leave them be for now then in February cut them hard back, reducing their height by at least half and shortening all the side branches also by at least 50% then feed them with Fish, Blood & Bone  (an organic fertiliser which will last through the growing period), water well and mulch the bed with some organic matter ... in that narrow bed I think I’d use bagged Soil Conditioner available from most garden centres. 
    Manure would do the same job but you need to keep it away from the stems and there’s not a lot of space there.  
    I think it’ll grow back twice as good as before, given that treatment, and it’ll soon regain its height so don’t hesitate to cut it back hard. 

Next summer give it twice twice as much water as you think it needs and you’ll probably get it about right  ;)
    "Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon

Great advice thankyou dove much appreciated.