A couple questions for a design app project

e.wage.wag Posts: 6

I would love it if everyone could answer a couple market research questions for a project I am working on. Your input will be extremely valuable.

Thank you for your time.

1. If you have used any computer (or mobile device) programs for design, what is your biggest complaint about the tool? What did you like most?
  2. In what way would you like a computer program help you with gardening or garden design?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 294
    1. Have used in the past but havent used one for over 20 years so I expect they are more user friendly now but they are just too long winded to set up. I don't see the point of spending days uploading a 3d version of your garden when you can look out of the window. It might help with planning the basic hard landscaping and planting areas but when it comes to plant planning I prefer to do this in situ. 
    2. Thing I struggle with in my new garden are visualising final sizes and planting distance. Is there one that you can put in small plants and then forward to the following year etc and see the plants growth?
    Plant choice is often poor with bad colouring is an app  going to give me my Rosa Gertrude Jekyll and then suggest a hardy geranium and a clematis to contrast or compliment.
    A diary based one which gives you pruning and cultivation info for your plants sounds good but again it's a drag inputting the plants.

All the best with your project

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,812
    I use Excel - not ideal by a long stretch, but I sort of get there with it.
    Generally I just look at my garden and decide where to move or plant things.
    If there was a cheap design tool I'd be interested in trying it, but for me it'd really be overkill
    Good luck with your project

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • e.wage.wag Posts: 6
    Thank you K67 and Pete.8 for your insights!
  • Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 89
    Whats the project? Perhaps a little background as to why you're asking will give you more pertinent answers.

edited 8 December
    Hi Del_Griffith, Im working on developing a design program for gardening/landscaping. I’m being vague with the questions on purpose so as not o influence answers. Also I don’t want to narrow the window of possible answers. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,440
    is it aimed at professionals, or amateurs?
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    is it aimed at professionals, or amateurs?
    Could work for either. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,440
    Forgive me , but IMHO  a product aimed at professional garden designers ( I used to be one ) would have to be significantly more complex than one aimed at the amateur "home gardener" .
    Devon.
  • Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 89
    Personally I think you may be directing your enthusiasm at the wrong product.
    As a retired environmentalist there are many versions of landscape architecture /earthworks modelling software out there...some complicated and expensive, some free and easy to use. 

And now as an amateur gardener I'm sort of glad to get away from the laptop. When I plan a new garden I'll use a tape measure, a compass, test the soil and then use my eyes to imagine what it will look like...or at least try. If I do use the computer it will be a plant database.
    I like the "hands on" creative process...including learning from mistakes. Which IMHO is where a computer program won't help much. Talking and listening to other gardeners is certainly more enjoyable than letting a computer do it all for you. I think even a pro might tell you that. 

Can I ask, are you a gardener or a computer enthusiast?

Best of luck in your project and I don't wish to sound negative or put a dampener on the whole idea but in my very humble opinion you may be trying to "reinvent the wheel".

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,427
    @e.wag , are you a student? in horticulture or landscape design? in computing? in marketing? Is that project a set task by your teachers?
    Anyway, those two "vague" questions certainly cannot count as serious "market research".
    I mostly agree with what @Del_Griffith has said.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).