PLANT ID PLEASE - SHRUBS

3 pictures of the first shrub - I've inherited this in my east facing front garden. 

Is it a pieris?

Last shrub photo is of a large evergreen in the same front garden. Other than a few vine weevil nibble holes, it looks healthy enough.

Thank you very much 😊

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,307
    It's not a Pieris, I think it is Mahonia Aquifolium, and the other picture is Prunus Laurocerasus, Cherry Laurel.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,440
    I agree with Mahonia, plus a fine infestation of ground elder. Both weeds IMHO and I'd lose them both. ( you won't get rid of one without getting rid of the other )
    Devon.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 197
    Hello and thank you both.
    I hadn't thought of mahonia, because I thought they always had spiky edged leaves, but mine hasn't.
    Is ground elder the prolific, low growing plant underneath then? I'm not familiar with it.

thanks again 🙏🏻
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,446
    You soon will be!
    It has long, white, spaghetti-like roots that spread through the soil at almost visible speed. Any little bit you leave behind will start a new plant and it will infiltrate the roots of shrubs and perennials, hence the comment about removing the Mahonia too. It grows fastest in spring and early summer and loves cultivated soil.
    The only way to control it is to dig out as much as possible and then be very vigilant about removing any new growth on bits you  missed or cannot reach.
    Or nuke the entire garden and your neighbours' too!
    I have it in much of my rural garden, and have learned to live with it to some extent. The foliage is quite attractive - believe it or not, the variegated form is on sale in a number of nurseries, but always under its Latin name! - and the flowers are pretty and look good with many garden plants.
    It can provide acceptable ground cover under trees and shrubs, but is less welcome in borders or more manicured areas. Weeding it out can be quite a therapeutic exercise on a warm summer afternoon though, when the soil is damp. You have to follow up each indivdual root to its origin, but there will be many others intersecting along the way. It doesn't take long to end up with a bucketful of spaghetti.
    Good Luck :)
  • dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 197
    Thanks Buttercup, sounds like fun 🤔

Looks like I'll be busy then!