My Christmas Tree doesnt smell 😩

Hello there, 

I am a very new and VERY noviced to the gardening world and I am seeking some advice about my Xmas tree. 

We always have a real tree and have got it from the same  supplier for the last 10 years with no issues. But this year our tree doesn’t smell at all Christmassy. Even if I pop my head straight into the needles there is the faintest aroma but it’s barely detectable. I thought it may just be me at first but all the family have commented on the lack of smell now. 

I onow now it’s a bit silly but the smell of pine through my house at Xmas is so evocative to me that it doesn’t feel festive without it. 

Does anyone one have any handy tips of how to bring the smell out? Can that even be done?? Any advice will be greatly received. 

Many thanks, 

Jodie 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,950
    The smell of a conifer comes from essential oils in the needles. To release the essential oils you need heat.

If your tree is a different species from previous ones it may have essential oils that require a higher heat in order to be released.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,607
    Doctor doctor my christmas tree has no nose.
    How does it smell?
    Piney.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,950
    You’ll have to spruce up your jokes, WE.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 57
    It may be you have had a Norway Spruce in past years, they have the lovely Christmassy smell and lots of pine needles!! Nordmann Fir trees are getting more and more popular as they do not suffer from needle drop as much as the Spruce, but they don't have the smell.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,607
    You could get some spruce cuttings and pine cones then make up some wreaths to hang at face level on doors etc. Then you'd get the smell without having to replace or heat up your tree. Pick cones that are oozing resin if you can find them.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,436
     Pick cones that are oozing resin if you can find them.
    I've got loads. They'd need drying out mind  ;)

Y. Rose is right - the Nordmanns don't have much smell. You need the Norway spruce for a good scent. Pansyface is also right - they need a bit of heat to properly release the scent too. 
    There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street
    I went in to see her as a kind of joke
    And she lit a candle for my love luck
    And eighteen bucks went up in smoke

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,427
    A lot of christmas trees are dipped to stop respiration and needle drop, but it also stops the essential oils that form the scent from escaping.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,811
    Essential oil of pine is cheap and very strong. Many chemists and the like have it.
    A few drops on some cones would recreate an authentic fragrance.
    I use it along with my little fake tree - the smell is way out of proportion to the size of the tree - but hey! it's Christmas :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,931
    Which type do you have @shepsy77? Some don’t smell as much as others. I read that keeping the tree well watered will help the sap move, thus releasing the aroma. 
    Nothing wrong with a bit of enhancement with some essential oil or candles as I agree the smell is crucial to the festive mood. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.