Heuchera planting now?

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,580
I bought 2 of the peachy/red heucheras in 2 litre pots from Hilliers last Sunday, which are currently sitting in the bottom of my small unheated greenhouse. My RHS book advises planting between autumn and spring, which I'm hesitating over. Am I right in thinking that this particular colourway is rather more delicate than the dark ones?  Is there a heuchera expert out there please. We face south, it's for the front border (but they will face east) and they will have some shelter behind them from the west.

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 337
    I am no expert but heucheras are one of my favourite plants and of other members of the forum. I personally don't think the colour would make any difference. I have planted out a few recently and they have taken well. Someone else may have a different opinion. I'm sure you will have further posts.  :)
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 13,694
    My heucheras in various colours survive everything the weather throws at them.  Some are in the ground but most are in pots.
    SW Scotland
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,436
    Same as Joyce. There's no difference with the colours, and they'll take anything and everything. I certainly wouldn't have them in a greenhouse :)

Personally - as they're decent sized plants, I'd be splitting them and potting them up separately to give you more plants.  ;)

There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street
    I went in to see her as a kind of joke
    And she lit a candle for my love luck
    And eighteen bucks went up in smoke

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,580
    Thanks for the advice folks, I think I'll plant one out and split the other and pot them on for the time being as advised. I'm being a bit cautious I know, but other splittings haven't gone too well and the smaller plants took ages to get going.  
    You can certainly put the small divisions under cover Lizzie, as they would be more vulnerable at this time of year. They won't grow much until spring, but they should romp away then. 
    I split a large plant a while ago, and although the little ones are all very healthy, they haven't grown much, but I know they will once we get into the new season. They're outdoors, but that's not an issue, because the conditions were suitable then  :)

Would you split a mature heuchera which has been in the ground for some time and is symmetrical producing flowers? If so would each cutting eventually become symmetrical? Seems a shame to spoil really well established plants. Can't think under what other circumstances you would split them.  Excuse my ignorance.😕

• seakaleseakale Posts: 108
    I tend to divide heucheras in late August, this gives them a good chance at getting away before the winter
    Splitting gives you more plants  for nowt, Fran  ;)
    It can also invigorate older plants, especially ones which have pushed themselves out of the ground, as heucheras often do. 

Many thanks @seakale and @Fairygirl. Think I shall leave them over winter but could save some money if I split them. Anything for nowt! Your cutting Fairy is doing well thanks.  :) With the bad weather we are having I haven't been able to do anything which is very frustrating. Hopefully some dry weather is on the way. 
    Probably easier to wait until spring Fran - they'll crack on a pace then. They're very forgiving, easy plants  :)
    Glad the wee plant is fine. The rest of them are tucked against a raised bed, out of the worst of the weather.
    Unfortunately, there's another load of stormy weather coming in for tomorrow! ;)