Torch apps on Android phone

We were talking last week about carrying a torch at this time of year and someone mentioned torch apps on phones.  I tried one and found it fairly feeble.  Do all of them only get as bright as the screen usually is?  If so, the only advantage is that it doesn't go off after 30 seconds or so like the phone does.   But it's nowhere near as bright as my torch.  
I wish I was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
Cos how can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,650
    The torch normally uses the light for the camera flash, not screen illumination.  You should also find an option for switching the torch on in the Settings, assuming your phone can do it.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,742
    Until August this year, if you had an Android phone, you could say "Hello Google - Lumos!" to switch the torch on... and "Hello Google - Nox!" to switch it off...

But an update to the OS changed that, apparently :(
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 477
    I'll have a look but I've never noticed a Torch in the settings.  If there isn't one, I'll just try the different torch apps until I find a good one.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 642
    The torch on my android phone is much brighter than the screen. Can't remember how I set it up though! 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,811
    If you're running one of the recent versions of Andriod - swipe down from the top right to show Settings, you should see the android Torch app. You may need to swipe down again from the Settings screen to expand them and show all settings which include the Torch
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,607
    Any idea what phone it is? The torch app on mine only opens if you have the cover shut but all models seem to have their own peculiarities.
    It's an LG Joy.   And TBH, it's a load of crap.  I certainly won't be buying another LG when I replace this one.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,811
    As I mentioned above - the Torch is within the Settings.
    From the LG Joy website - 

The reviews of the LG Joy seem to concur with your views on the phone :)

LG Joy - Use built in Torch / Flashlight

Home   >  Tips   >  LG Joy   >  Use built in Torch / Flashlight
    Android 50 Lollipop
    Phone: LG Joy 
    Factory OS: Android 5.0 (Lollipop)

Have you updated your Operating System?
    Then view tips for the most recent OS version(s): Android 9 (Pie) & Android 8 (Oreo)
    Or view tips for all Android versions

Use built in Torch / Flashlight

The most recent version of Android now comes with a built in Flashlight / Torch App.

To find this, simply pull down to see your notifications. Then on the top bar (where you see your settings for WiFi, Bluetooth etc.), scroll across until you see Torch.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,685
    I’ve got a crap LG as well, runs out of battery as quick as you can look at it, I have never had a signal from the house, I’m back on to a really old Nokia that I’ve had for years, still on original battery. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
    I guess I need to update my Android system then as there's definitely no Torch.  I'll do that now.  Thanks Pete.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum