Rose Planting Depth

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,086
Does anyone know the correct depth for planting a rose? I've planted out a rambling rose 'Lady of the Lake' today, using the information on the RHS site about NOT planting the graft lower than the soil level. However, after watching a GW video showing Monty planting his at least two inches below soil level, so as to avoid suckers and windrock, I'm confused. Sarah Raven seems to share Monty's view. Any ideas?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,279
    I don't think they is a correct way to plant a rose. Ive planted them both ways I haven't noticed a difference. David austin website says plant the graft under the soil. I,ll probably plant the graft under the soil in future out of personal choice  
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 77
    Yes I was similarly confused but was advised on here to plant below soil level and as the majority of sources online said the same I went with that.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Posts: 211
    I have always planted mine just at ground level, then mulch with about four inches of well rotted horse manure so in effect they end up below ground level.

Like most things ideas change over time so just do what you think best.
    South Coast Hampshire
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,142
    David Austin has been advising "graft below soil" for decades.  Works for me.  Helps to anchor the rose.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,086
    Thank you all for your very kind input. I've replanted it, burying the graft about 2" below the surface. That seems to be the prevailing view other than the RHS which says it can encourage dieback. Now if I can just stop a little border terrier from lifting his leg up it...