Bare root rose

GrajeanGrajean Posts: 160
I want to buy a bare root rose as a Christmas gift, how long can it be kept before planting. I am buying a Rhapsody in Blue for my sister-in-law as a surprise, would have preferred a pot grown but none available here in France.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 368
    You can pot up a bare root rose. Compost or even good garden soil temporarily would be fine. Find a pot big enough for the roots, you can even trim a few to fit if needs be.

I have a couple I could not decide where to put so have had them in pots since last year. Potting mix of a half John Innes and half some peat substitute type that most others seem to be these days.
    They have been fine.
     That is a lovely gift.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,142
    It needs soaking in water for a couple of hours or overnight to rehydrate the roots as soon as you buy it - or it arrives by post .  Then you can pot it up for her but do make sure the pot is big enough to accommodate the roots without squishing them and that the graft union is below compost level.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw