Mushroom growing

Wondering whether anyone has experience of growing mushrooms indoors ?

I'm not talking about the Mushroom Kits which are readily available but a slightly more permanent set up.

I'm hoping to be able to make use of a cellar but find some of the info offered online is a wee bit dubious and not too simple to download.

I've looked at a couple of sites - Mushroom Box I think was one - but can anyone either offer some hints ( best growing medium for eg ) or point me towards a good site for both info and spawn, etc. )

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,656
    edited December 2018
    Ma did it in a small shed on the farm waaaaay back in the early 60s?  IIRC she found it difficult to maintain the right temperature for growth and production was sporadic. 
    The ‘spawn’ came from an advert in the Farmer’s Weekly which is of no help to you now.  :/
    Pretty sure a bed of peat, horse manure and straw was involved. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,263
    I know they grow them on horse muck, that’s what contains the spores, they grow in the fields on it. That will make your cellar smell nice Philippa😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn  :D:D
  • Thanks Dove - it was the cellar which made me think it feasible - constant temperature shouldn't be a problem.
    Looks like some can be grown on a substrate of hardwood shavings (Shitake, Oyster etc.) but agree manure of some description is also needed.
    I've got a feeling I need to do some research ( plenty of books available I now see ) before I fill the cellar with muck and cross my fingers.
    Not least I guess I need to own the cellar first !