When do you put up your Christmas tree (and/or trimmings)?

AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,931

When do you put up your Christmas tree (and/or trimmings)? 40 votes

I never have a Christmas tree
7%
Berghilljosusa47LauraRoslin 3 votes
Early - December 1st (or earlier)
7%
Lily PillyBig Blue SkyBurtsnest 3 votes
Late - near Christmas Eve
37%
Bee witchedLynDovefromaboveGrajeanFairygirlTopbirdGWRSSinging GardenerLiriodendronmadpenguinLG_John36Anna33Valley GardenerJanie B 15 votes
A certain set day
12%
hogweedAnniDstewyfizzSuesyndappledshade 5 votes
I don’t celebrate Christmas
12%
Muddle-UpHostafan1a1154Pauline 7Del_Griffith 5 votes
Other
22%
BobTheGardenerBusy-LizzieMagical MeerkatKitty 2raisingirlLastboatLogan4Tulip18TheRickster 9 votes
My garden and I live in South Wales. 

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,931
    I have noticed a large amount of lights and trees going up this weekend. I wondered what traditions/rules you all have.
    I generally put a tree up late, although recently we have a real one so tend to purchase mid December. I often start with some trimmings on the first weekend in December, e.g. I made table decorations and a wreath yesterday. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,950
    I can’t click on two choices, but I don’t have a tree (plastic ones are dreadful and real ones, well, you wouldn’t want to just throw all that money in the bin so you buy a rooted one and then where do you plant them? Only so many Christmas trees you can have in a garden.)

We don’t celebrate Christmas because we have no religious beliefs and the rest is all a commercial cashing in exercise. No presents. Youngsters all live far away so they get a phone call and we let them prattle on and wish them a happy day.

I send money to a few charities that I support, OH does the same. End of.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    edited 2 December
    Thank you for sharing @pansyface. I would much prefer to have a Winter festival which is inclusive (if desired) and non-religious, as I like the idea of celebrating the seasons, having some family traditions and maybe treating the ones you love. I suppose my personal choices and traditions reflect that in some way, although the commercial aspect spoils it somewhat. I nearly always work over Christmas (NHS) so that puts its own slant on things too. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,793
    Other
    I would have thought most gardeners would in some way mark the turn of the year - the equinox and solstices are all relevant to planting and harvest. Of course the pope got the date wrong but that is where it all started - the 'true meaning of Christmas'.

And following that logic, I do put up lights at some point in December when the weather is calm enough, so not yet. Maybe next weekend. I think candles and lights to lift the gloom are a sensible way to mark midwinter. They often stay up well past 12th night though. Generally if we get a cold sunny spell in January, that will prompt me to take down the lights, bring in a few early daffs, start my chillis off on the windowsill and start looking forward to spring.

We may get a growing tree this year - I take PF's point but we actually have room for a few more conifers in my 'shelter belt' at the far end of the garden. But only if there's a decent looking tree in the GC when/if I get round to looking - it's the long term life of the tree I'm interested in rather than decoration for Christmas week. We got a lovely blue fir a few years ago - it's a fine tree doing very well.
    Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 12,059
    I don’t celebrate Christmas
    Bit too 'German'  and Saxe-Coburg for me, the Christmas Tree.....Albert's introduction....which besotted Victoria fell for, hook, line and sinker.  They do look pretty, though.

As a card-carrying Pagan, 'Christmas' means Midwinter/Yule/Saturnalia to me, a time when, after the longest day on December 21st, we have the slow-but-sure return of the all-conquering sun, and the promise that the light will return to the northern hemisphere.  I just can't 'square' that with some bolshy, troublesome prophet ( bless him )  born in the Middle East (  who had very good PR, admittedly ).  Doesn't resonate with me at all.  Can't think how it ever caught on.  Blame the Romans.

So.....some yew, holly, mistletoe, lights, candles.....yes.....and maybe even a fake tree if I can be bothered.....because at midwinter we need all the brightness we can get to see us through the darkness of winter and celebrate the new life simmering below the earth.

Plus it's my birthday on December 24th, so I need to celebrate that!  But no, I don't celebrate the Christian festival, as such.
    Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞
  • B3B3 Posts: 7,017
    Not before 17 th December and I'm bored with it well before new year. Once the tree's down, you can start looking forward to spring
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 477
    I live alone so there's no point in Xmas decorations of any variety.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
    Really interesting comments and differences, thank you for sharing. I love reading about traditions in other countries too - Christmas or other Winter festivals. I think the ideas about lights, cosiness (in the dark and cold climates) and feasting run through many of these celebrations and are arguably the best bits. 
    Whether we class the ‘true meaning’ as religious or have a more modern or nature-inspired interpretation, Christmas can sometimes be an enforced ritual of spending money, getting drunk and naffness; unless we put our own spin on things perhaps...
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 130
    A certain set day
    Usually 1st Sunday in Dec (today!). Not overly keen on the whole Christmas shop-til-you-drop extravaganza. Our family do a 'secret santa' thing where one person buys presents for one other, with a cost limit (£60 this year). I also get a few things for the OH and thats it. Not a overly religious person either (despite being brought up in a church-going family - i am the black sheep). Christmas to me is getting together with those you care about. Thats no bad thing. Oh and a week off work!
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • BerghillBerghill Posts: 3,005
    The nice thing about there just being the two of us over Christmas means that we do not have to bother with all the fripperies which go with it. When the children were small, we did, but once they left we stopped bothering. Like it that way.