Forum home Problem solving

Dried flower Christmas tree.

RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 333
I saw the picture above  on Facebook and now it’s my goal for next year. I’d like to decorate my Christmas tree with nothing but dried flowers. However, I’ve never dried a flower before and have heard they all lose colour.  Was wondering if anyone here would have advice on where to start, how achievable something like this is (on a much smaller scale of course) and what flowers would work best. Thanks 

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Don't know about all kinds. But I used Gypsophila,  bought a bunch, chopped long stems off and dropped it as it was in little sprigs/clumps on the tree, it dried itself, and  lasted for a good few years, that stayed white I think. It might still even be in a box somewhere.
    Nice idea Robert, good luck.
    Some lose colour more than others, like roses they often fade but the colours can still be nice?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    How many thousand were you planning on growing and drying? Even with a small tree you will need loads. 
    I’m not  so sure if some of those on that tree are not dried but fresh,  I’ve never got them to keep colours as bright as some of those. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 333
    Not thousands, but the idea of a Xmas tree decorated in flowers appeals greatly. Gypsophilia is a great suggestion. Just need some other colours. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I used to dry a lot of plants, but less so now as I have very limited space outside and inside, but it's a habit for me. I always want to see summer indoors when in the depth of winter.

Even this year, a Sedum stalk had broken off in the harsh winds, and I ended up drying that too, and it now sits in a small pot with cornflowers and Ammi Majus. I took my sister's wedding posy home and dried that up too, and although pastel shade, it faded only a little.

Classic plants that do well are getting mophead Hydrangeas as soon as they open and cut them and dry. Look at the plants, if they have large petals, turn upside down. If the petals are short or closely packed, they can dry upright. Ivy flowers are also good for drying. Anthemis Tinctoria make good dried plants, pick off the petals, and the central cone keeps its colour very well, and the stalks are strong and stiff. Roses with very small tightly packed flowers can also be dried. Peel of the leaves. 

I hang upside down or store upright in a spare wardrobe in darkness for around 2-4 weeks depending on each plant. I have also left some upright in normal bright light conditions too. I dry Gypsophila in this way. 

The tall tree, probably has a mix of dried and fresh flowers. Replicating that will be a tall order!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,013
    edited December 2018
    Statice (sp) keeps its colour
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    And there is always the annual helichrysum which you could grow lots of. It keeps colour quite well and doesn't all fall to bits if you just look at it. Plus lots and lots of cones sprayed or left natural. 

However, I do think it would look nicer at the end of summer rather than as a Christmas tree. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,460
    I might have a go at a small one. I have a lot of dried statice from the summer cut flowers.
  • RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 333
    Some great ideas here. Must grow statice and helichrysum. Of course I wouldn’t do a big one, but I definitely want more flowers on my tree. 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,013
    Baubles made with dried flowers would be nice too dotted around
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • You can get clear glass baubles, so you could put small dried flowers in those.