Forum home Problem solving

Small orange fungi patch on mature cut leaf maple

jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
edited December 2018 in Problem solving
Hi all, another fungi question. This time a tiny patch on a tree that was much healthier this year. I’ve attached a few pictures to give an idea of the scale of it. Anybody have any ideas?

• blackstartblackstart WarwickshirePosts: 13
    Hi, that looks like Coral Spot to me.

Blackstart

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=135
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    Thanks.  I can’t quite find whether it’s as bad news as the white fungus from my other tree/thread.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,193
    All fungus growing on wood is a sign that the fungus is breaking down the wood for food.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    It’s a very tiny section on the main two trunks and there had been some dieback after a transplant back in Jamuary this year where it incurred a very small amount of bark damage.

The tree leafed out in spring, and after slowing down in summer and looking thin, it held onto the leaves and started to put on some brand new shoots high up and low down in late summer after I had been feeding with a seaweed extract root growth each week from late August.

What should I do?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,193
    I don’t believe that there is much you can do, other than wait and see. No treatment for coral spot.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Looks like Coral spot,  Nectria cinnabarina.  Feeds on dead wood usually but can spread to living tissue.  Quite common. Looks as if it has formed around an old wound on the tree.  The important thing to do is to prune off any living branches it spreads to and to ensure the tree is properly mulched and maintained.  I would remove some of the grass around the base and use an organic mulch as well as removing any plants in the trees immediate area
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    It is a very large tree, to be trying to transplant.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.