Seeds from China - Automated Greenhouse (what is growing?)

collinge_9collinge_9 Posts: 2
edited 2 December in The potting shed
Hi All,

Newbie here - I recently purchased some seeds from china, Im not an avid gardener and not really green fingered, more of a computer geek who likes to build random things.

One of them random things was a fully automated greenhouse hence the seeds from china, Random and weird looking plants that i could grow in a fully automated climate. To test the idea i started with some rose cuttings - They are starting to grow nicely as the picture below
But i planted some random seeds - that were meant to be Blue Roses but upon them growing they don't look like rose seedlings,

Could someone help advise what this might be? Does it look healthy etc?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,950
    edited 2 December
    April fool😂

The only blue roses that exist exist in the minds of people who convince other people that they exist. Like blue horses. I have one for sale. Very nice. Very cheap. Just send me your email address.

Sorry mate, they saw you coming.

Probably Chinese dandelions or nettles or somesuch.😊

P.S. if you want to grow rose cuttings you don’t need to put them in a greenhouse. In fact, they grow much better outdoors.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • collinge_9collinge_9 Posts: 2
    See im no good at gardening haha, :D Just bought a bunch of random seeds.
    Will just have to wait and see what appears with them all.

I put the rose cutting in the greenhouse as its from some shop bought roses (was my anniversary and got the wife some roses) She put them in a vase with water and watched them die while i annoyed her saying i kept mine alive. I will be putting it outside after winter has passed as we need some new soil down in the garden, Tried to do up the garden this summer but nothing grew and all the pre-grown plants we got died a few weeks after planting.

Were not very green-fingered and currently have a patch of soil that has random plants growing, mostly weeds but somehow some strawberries plants and mint that died after planting this summer and has randomly decided to grow back now in the middle of winter?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,950
    Mint loves water. It grows on river banks. This summer was too hot and dry for a young mint plant unless it was watered every day.

Even pre-grown plants you bought would need water every day, either rain or from a can, until they were established. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,142
    edited 2 December
    I think you need to direct your geek energies to finding out the basics of how plants grow - varying combinations of soil type, sun and water.  Get those right and the plant thrives.  Get one wrong and it will struggle.

Another thing - buy good quality seeds from reputable and certified UK suppliers so you don't risk a) buying a crock and b) importing unknown but potentially disastrous weeds and/or pathogens attached to those dodgy seeds.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,625
    As above, the Chinese seed market is a massive scam literally selling magic beans in some cases.
  • Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 89
    Obelixx said:
    Another thing - buy good quality seeds from reputable and certified UK suppliers so you don't risk a) buying a crock and b) importing unknown but potentially disastrous weeds and/or pathogens attached to those dodgy seeds.
    Absolutely!

Throw everything away or better still burn them.

All you've bought I'm afraid is a potential bio-hazard.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importing-plants-fruit-vegetables-or-plant-material-to-the-uk

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,708
    I agree with Del, best destroyed, not in the landfill though as they could grow. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Posts: 211
    You know its illegal to import any seed / plant material from abroad without a licence.
    South Coast Hampshire
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,708
    I wonder what they put on the customs label. 
    Who checks these things at the customs? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,142
    There are customs checks but it's impossible to check every shipment thru ports or packages thru the post so we, as consumers, have to be intelligent and responsible in what we order and from where.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw