Tin Chicken!

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,591

Hi AnniD,

Here's the picture of the decorative tin (I think) chicken I bought at Bath Xmas Market for my sister's presie. It's got a painted/enamelled finish and one of the wings is hinged for a candle to go inside. It's about 24" H x 15" L. I just found out when I unwrapped it that it's actually made in China - no surprise there, but I was a bit disappointed. It's supposed to be weatherproof but I'm a bit doubtful.  I'm thinking of putting some Cadbury's Crème Eggs as a jokey extra.  She gave me a woven willow chicken sculpture for my birthday earlier and managed to persuade the hotel we were staying at to give her a small bowl and a fresh egg to go with it.  So I'm returning the gesture!  We may have started a running theme here.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 1,643
    edited 1 December
    Thanks for posting @Lizzie27 ! It's a lot bigger than l expected. I know what you mean about it being made in China - you always imagine some craftsman around the back of these Christmas markets producing things. It's a very striking thing though. Maybe sugar almonds rather than creme eggs perhaps ? Less "Eastery", if that's even a word.....
    https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/sugar-almonds.html
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,142
    Get some of that rust cure stuff from Halfords or a good DIY.  Brush it on and you'll get a patina that's more weatherproof.   I've done that with some of my "rusty" ornaments this year and they look a lot better.  Just got my flock of guinea fowl to do for next year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,591
    Thanks Obelixx, that's a really useful tip. I presume your "flock" are in fact lifeless?
  • B3B3 Posts: 7,026
    I would prefer if it rusted - which it probably will!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    The rust ends up looking very dull whereas the patina's effect is subtle and catches light better, especially when the sun is low.

Lizzie - my flock is from Zimbabwe and lifeless.   Some of the soldering has failed and one or two are also legless so I'll have to fix them.   The things I have patinated are a cat, a cockerel, a big ladybird, a lizard and a frog.   They look much better and no longer stain the wall they sit on when it rains.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,616
    I bought various metal birds and ornaments and found they rotted if left outside, in winter, they are coming in from now on.
    Obelixx, sounds as though you have a large menagerie there!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,438
    I've got 2 hens in the garden which I have had for umpteen years. They were made in some part of Africa - came with a little story on the label. They are very sturdy and are rusty which I like. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    I quite like the rusty effect as well, Hogweed and I know my sister does too. They like sitting out in the evenings drinking wine, with lots of candles around and wrapped in blankets, which is why I thought the chicken/candle combo might appeal.
    I love rusty ornaments but didn't like the rusty drips.  The patina'd effect gives me clean rust and I know they won't be quietly rotting away over time.   

I have a chuck, a cockerel and a cat that all hold tea lights but I also have rusty "baskets" that hold 5 or 6 glass cups in which I can put tea lights or small candles depending on how long I need them to last and a couple of rusty metal hanging lanterns that are good for holding fat citronnelle candles against the bugs.  

I also have a rusty metal Moroccan frame for a mirror - not placed where birds fly into it - 6 rusty guinea fowl, a brace of herons and another couple of Zimbabwean birds all out in the garden plus a rusty frog and rusty metal bird bath which I have double patinated to stop the brid water getting rusty.   No doubt more will join the menagerie as and when I see something I fancy.