Forum home Plants

Mystery scented plant Identification please

flowerlover2flowerlover2 Posts: 70
edited November 2018 in Plants
Hi
Early June last year, I visited Sissinghurst garden and encountered the most cativating scented plant ever! It smelled like almond but not overly sweet. I did try to locate the source but without success. It was very illusive , I cautht it in drifts every so often in the gardens. I don't think it was the roses! I have been buying lots of scented plants but I don't think I have got it yet. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,521
    The coffee shop?
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Haha, no. I was miles away from the coffee shop. It was definitely from a plant. It had a distinct floral scent.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,332
    Could it be the , almond-scented Abeliophyllum distichum or Azara microphylla, which has a marzipan air about it. ?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,502
    I had the same experience some years ago - I can't remember which garden it was, but a very sweet almond scent.
    It turned out to be clematis flammula
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,269
    The montana clematises have an almond scent, but I'd think they would be finished by June - especially down there.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,222
    I had two almond scented clematis in my last garden.   Fabulous perfume - 
    http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=540 and
    http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=172 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    edited December 2018
    There are a couple more Clematis with that Almond scent as well as the two already mentioned. C.flammula is quoted as flowering from July as does C. triternata rubromarginata.
    But if not pruned back hard and depending on conditions, can flower earlier.
    C. recta would be a possibility,  that is also an almondy scent and is quoted as flowering from June.
    C. recta is more a herbaceous clematis so might not be as obvious with little flowers.

(I say quoted as many sites share the same general info).
    Hi
    Early June last year, I visited Sissinghurst garden and encountered the most cativating scented plant ever!

I have been buying lots of scented plants but I don't think I have got it yet. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? 
    Sorry I was in fits at your spelling mistake, didn't know cats smelled of almonds.....sorry I'll get me coat.

Blimey that is one way to identify it,  a good excuse to rule something out, buy plants!
     I might use that on my other half. :D Thanks.

Was the scent everywhere?
    Or in particular parts?
    If you can say it was for example, in the white garden or the purple leaf border, it might give a clue or jog someones memory who has visited.

Edit : Just looking at a Sissinghurst article (Telegraph) they do have some montanas, Fairygirl is right, many are over, but a few go into June.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,788
    Clematis montana "Mayleen" (pale pink flowers) had a very beautiful strong perfume but I'm sorry I can't remember if I identified it as "almondy"