Forum home Plants

Identify a garden full?!

Would love some help identifying some of the many plants that I'm wondering over after just moving to a new home. Its so difficult to tell with many as they are so twiggy, but hoping you may be able to put me on the right track!

Think I have an inkling with a few, but as much as I love plants I wouldn't be sure!

1)

2) Camellia?

3)

4) Any idea on what type of Rhododendron this is?

5) No idea! Has 1 remaining Autumn-coloured, paired leaf on it if that is any help...

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,248
    1.Choisya ternata
    3.Photinia (Red Robin?)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • 1. Agree with madpenguin.
    2. Yes Camellia sp.
    3. Agree
    4. Yes Rhododendron.
    Even when the flowers open it may be impossible/hard to try to name it.
    there are hundreds of species as well as thousands of named hybrids.
    5 . Hmm!
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    No chance of IDing the rhodie from that pic - there's thousands of 'em!
    Even in flower, it would be tricky. It doesn't look very happy - it's position and the general conditions are probably the issue there. They need plenty of water, and suitable soil to thrive. 
    The 2nd could be a Camellia.
    The last one could simply be a tree seedling which has rooted and grown. Without more info and a wider view, it would be quite hard to ID. Someone might have an idea though.  :)
    There's a wee bit of vine weevil damage among your shrubs too. It won't necessarily be a big issue, but healthy plants will shrug it off fairly easily. 
    M. Penguin has IDd the other two.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Didn't realise there were that many that's mad! I shall keep an eye out, quite nice in a way not know what colour the blooms will (hopefully!) be in a way! 

Thank you everyone, I can now do some homework! 

Its not best happy at the minute, and is very small considering I've heard they typically grow like the clappers - any suggestions for that or the vine weevil? I've heard pesticides are a no no?
  • You can get different sorts - some are really tiny, I have one in an alpine trough, and there are smallish ones as well as very large.
    They all need acid soil and that could be why yours is not flourishing. Have you done a soil test? If the soil isn't acid enough you will need to give it a dose of sequestrine or something similar and then it should soon perk up.
    The vine weevil shouldn't do major harm to a rhodie; the leaf damage is insignificant and it should be too big for the roots to be affected much either. It will be a different matter if you have plants in pots, as the grubs can easily wipe out a small Heuchera or other favourite before you even notice ! If that is the case then it is best to keep a very close eye on them and if something is wilting unexpectedly or failing to grow, have a look at the roots to see if you can spot any grubs. They are C shaped with creamy bodies and brown heads, no legs. Put them on the bird table or squish them!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Becky - you can use nematodes to treat vine weevil. Nice organic method, and many people find it very effective. You can find them online - there are different ones for different plants. Spring is usually the best time for application, but you can do a bit of research once you find a site selling them.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it just now though. Once you have all your shrubs IDd,  and you decide what you want to do with them re pruning or moving [if anything ] you can take some action. 
    It looks like there's a lot of other stuff growing around your rhodie, so it may simply need more room, and some better soil and cultural conditions. It would help if you have a photo with a wider view of the spot it's in. They can grow big, but it's often down to the way they've  been cared for initially, and the aforementioned conditions etc. as to how quickly they grow. Many shrubs take a while to settle in and establish, and then they grow more rapidly  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....