Golden retrievers

Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,070
No gardening today because of the weather. Went on Youtube and found these videos about golden retrievers.
First one is all about the breed and the second is puppies growing up. This isn't a link but if you search for golden retrievers these will come up.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,629
    They are lovely but Border Collies are my favourite.
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,070
    That's ok Busy Lizzie, collies are alright.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,657
    Border collies are hyper intelligent, Retrievers get their own way by looking soppy at you.
    KT53 said:
    Border collies are hyper intelligent, Retrievers get their own way by looking soppy at you.
    GOLDEN RETRIEVERS are intelligent as well. I've trained 7 of them and they've wone trophies for obedience training.

Bracken

Barley

Berry doing a sit stay.

I've trained them to put a toy in a box and retrieve it bring it back to me and then heel.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,657
    I wasn't meaning to suggest Retrievers aren't intelligent.  They are, but don't feel the need to show it like Border Collies. :) My cousin had a Border Collie who had a box with several dozen toys in, she would tell him to go and get xyz and virtually every time he would come back with the correct one.  A friend had a golden Retriever who could do much the same - if he felt like it.  More often than not he'd go to the toys and look at them until somebody picked one up.  Which dog was more intelligent? :D
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 781
    Dogs are no more inteligent than pigeons, the latest research says, or pigeons are as intelligent as dogs depending on your perspective. As many commentators have observed, however, who has ever seen a guide pigeon, bomb detection pigeon or one that beings the ball back. Not quite as cuddly as our four-legged companions either :D
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,802
    Intelligence is a rather subjective quality and has never really been defined, let alone reliably measured. I have a dog who is as thick as a plank by any standard that is based on how trainable he is. But he is self aware (we tried the mirror test on him) which scientists have said is one mark of intelligence. One of my in-laws' goldies definitely had a sense of humour, which others would say is a sign of intelligence. My greyhound isn't entirely sure where all her feet are most of the time but if you watch her chase something, she can work out intercept trajectories, anticipate changes of direction and work collaboratively with our lurcher to trap and catch. She will look at you blankly if you tell her to 'sit' though.
    Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    I'm not going into some argument which breed is more than the other.
    I made this thread so people who are interested in Goldies can watch the videos that are good, not like most of them are just laughable ones.
    People got their own fafoufavo breed.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,629
    Sorry, didn't mean to start a competition! Your dogs are gorgeous, Logan. I've seen them before on this forum. For me, my Tigger, Border Collie, was the best dog ever. Still miss him. OH wants me to bury his ashes but they are still in the nook at the bottom of the stairs where he slept. But everyone's own dog is the best for them.
    That's ok Busy Lizzie and thank you. I didn't think that it would cause trouble. I agree we all miss them  and they will always be with us.
    We couldn't bring ourselves to bury the ashes, they're still on the sideboard with a picture. Yes you're right.