Forum home Problem solving

Invasive lawn weed

Can anyone identify this plant please?
It spread over my lawn last year and I'd like to know how to deal with it next time.
It's about the size of clover but looks quite different.
Many thanks.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    Self heal. Lovely little wildflower, good for the bees and the seedheads are very popular with goldfinches. You can deal with it by enjoying it :)
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848
    I agree with wild edges, it looks great with White Clover if you hold off shaving the lawn in summer
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,369
    It's other name is Prunella Vulgaris, it's edible and has been well used in herbal medicine. I think it's pretty, there is a cultivated one, Prunella Grandiflora. I have the wild one in my lawn too. I leave the weeds in the lawn as I live in Dordogne, hot summers, the grass goes beige but the wild flowers (weeds) stay green.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thank you so much for your replies. Yes I also think it's pretty, I just wasn't sure if it was wise to let it go unchecked on the lawn.
  • They like damp soil and don't mind shade, so may be an indication of underlying soil conditions that you could look to improve, to encourage the grass in the lawn.
  • Unfortunately we have clay here and the ground is quite wet so it's clear now why this plant has paid us a visit. The lawn itself is a bit of a struggle in these conditions.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    I get it here quite a lot too Geoff, but it's very pretty and the insects like the flowers, so I don't find it too much of an issue to leave it. 
    At least it's mainly green, so it fits in well  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    It’s green and it seems to cope with damp shady areas better than
    lawn grasses do ... seems a no brainer to me  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you all. I shall enjoy it as you suggest. One can't be too careful.
    I remember seeing Japanese knotweed for the first time and thinking how pretty it was.............
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Very true @geoff979 :o:/
    but Prunella Bulgaria is a British native  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh