Forum home Tools and techniques

moving a Rhino greenhouse

We are considering buying a second hand 8x10  Rhino greenhouse.Is the glazing siliconed into the frames, any tips on moving the greenhouse would be appreciated.The move would be about 60 miles, and we have heard they are very difficult to take apart. Thank you 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,994
    I don't have a rhino greenhouse but people do silicone glass in sometimes. I am sure rhino GH glazing is held in by bar capping. I've dismantled a few GH and rebuilt them without hardly any problems, My own Gh I bought new were a nightmare to build. Ideal you want to keep the ends intact if you can transport it the rest is straight forward, take some plastic tubs for nuts bolts / knife for silicone etc. Take a picture of the GH before. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,736
    There is a rubber seal fitted between aluminium and inside of glass, so no silicone would normally be used.  The hard part (especially now it's cold) will be removing the long rubber-edged plastic sealing strips which both hold in and seal the glass on the outside.  Those were even quite difficult to clip in some places when I built my Rhino.  If you have trouble with removing those strips, worth asking if the previous owner could let you borrow a sponge and a bucket of hot water as warming each strip with a hot wet sponge should soften it a bit, allowing you to more easily lever it from under the little ridge which locks it in place.  Once you have a bit unclipped, the rest comes out fairly easily.
    There are some supplier videos on how to build a Rhino on Youtube which would be worth watching:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,625
    When my husband moved a greenhouse - not a Rhino - he took a marker and numbered every piece. He made a simple diagram showing where they belonged. It saved countless hours pf puzzling over which bit fitted where.