Wildlife cameras

Hi all,

For a while now my wife has suggested she’d like a wildlife camera for the garden as we get a number of foxes and squirrels and she’s curious as to what they get up to as they like to leave us presents in the form of dogs toys from neighbouring gardens 😂. I’m just wondering if anyone has ever used anything similar to the below link and what you thought to it as I’m considering getting her one for Christmas. Bearing in mind most of the images are computer renders, I’m dubious...

Campark Trail Wildlife Camera Trap 12MP 1080P Wild Hunting Cam Infrared Motion Activated Night Vision IP56 Waterproof for Outdoor Field Home Security https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076SFFPSV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ihf.BbCPWZ18J

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,196
    Just to save me typing out my experience again click the link below

If you're just going to use it in the garden then Crenova or Apeman seem to do good budget cameras but if you're happy to spend a bit more then Ltl Acorn or Bushnell do some great units. When I have to replace mine I'll be getting one that does photo and video at the same time because the photos seem to catch faster action but the videos are much more interesting and show more behaviour. I've missed some things that have moved past too fast by selecting video and I've been left kicking myself for selecting photo mode when something interesting has happened and I've only got a few frames of the action. It sounds like video is your priority though. Password protection is also a great feature if you ever want to leave it anywhere it might get nicked.

if you want to get videos of close up things like birds on the feeders you might have to get a camera that allows close up focus too. I've never tried that though sorry so I have no experience.
  • I have the Apeman H68 which I primarily use for the hogs at night. Nice piece of kit although it can eat batteries if using the video mode. 
  • We spent a long time looking at all the cameras and finally bought one a few months ago. We love it. It is great to be able to see what's been going on in our garden. Here's the link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/distianert-Infrared-Waterproof-Wildlife-Monitoring-940nm/dp/B01LRZ625S/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543433121&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Distianert+Trail+Camera+16MP+1080P+Wildlife+Game+Camera+Low+Glow+lack+Infrared+with+0.6S+Trigger+Time+80+FT+Detection+Range+130°Range+%26+47+Pcs+IR+LEDs+for+Wildlife+Monitoring

It is simple to use but the instruction book does need a bit of worrking through.
    Need to buy a memory card and good rechargeable batteries (we use Lidl batterries which are excellent).
    We have used it on different surfaces and also on a tripod. It has withstood a lot of rain.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,187
    edited November 2018
    I have an Apeman  [not sure of the model, I'll check ]  but the heavy rain a few weeks ago leached in, and I had to bring it in and dry it out. I keep it under a little table now to prevent any ingress. Bit of a pain, but otherwise, quite easy to use and wasn't expensive - about 50 quid. My model can be set to all photos, all video, or a combination where it takes them alternately. I've been using that mode with rechargeables in it, and it doesn't seem to use a lot of power. 

It's this one - it's miles cheaper now  :/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7FXWP1
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....