Forum home Problem solving

What's digging around in my plant pots?

Julia1983Julia1983 ShropshirePosts: 139
Hi all,

I'm a bit perplexed and wonder if anyone can offer some pointers.... a few times over the last month I have come home from work and noticed soil on the patio that has been flicked out of our potted plants. I  just can't think what could be doing this...  tonight it has been at the bay plant and a rose bush. A glass watering stick type thing (sorry for vague description) had been dug out and flicked onto the patio too. My first thought was a bird but we have meters of bedding space full of slugs and worms that could be dug around in far easier!  The garden is fully enclosed so only a squirrel could get in otherwise, but the pots with bulbs in have been left alone!  What could it be, or are the neighbours playing a weird trick..... :/

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    Jays planting acorns?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,562
    The blackbirds kept doing this to me over the summer. I thought it was because the pots were getting watered and the ground was dry so the soil in the pots was easier to dig through looking for bugs. Maybe they've developed a habit?

Animals burying things are often very neat because they don't want to leave signs of digging that other animals might investigate so I'd be inclined to say something digging for food rather than hiding it.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,945
    Blackbirds and pheasants are the culprits here.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Julia1983Julia1983 ShropshirePosts: 139
    Thanks all, I did suspect the blackbirds but I find it hard to believe there are tastier things in the pots than in the beds, but then maybe i'm the wrong species to judge :) i'd be amazed if it was a pheasant given the enclosed garden (and the cat) but you never know... i've had a little look for buried things and only found a bit of poo (possibly bird?) ....maybe time for a camera trap to satisfy my curiosity :D