Forum home Plants

What is this mystery plant?

Hi. I recently bought this at a plant sale - no tags provided. I have asked multiple horticulturalists, social media experts, and different plant nurseries... no-one has been able to identify this plant for me and I'm desperate to find out the correct care requirements!

• B3B3 Posts: 27,334
    What a strange plant! I thought it was a wind-up at first :D
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,462
    Is it a succulent? Kinda looks like a senecio of some sort. Theres a variety called 'fish hooks' that has a similar habit but not quite the same. Yours could be a bit light starved and leggy though maybe. It looks like it wants to trail rather than climb.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,762
    Hello Grace. It looks as if it could be one of the Albuca family. If you research through them you might find your plant. Its very unusual.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,596
    I had a look too, Ladybird4 but think Albucas are all bulbs?
    Though the curly ends look so right.
    You could take it out carefully and see.
    I also think it looks like it should trail down.

This site is my favourite bulb site many detailed photos. Albuca section:
    https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Albuca

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,762
    Yes, Rubytoo. They are all bulbous plants so I think your suggestion is a great idea.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Posts: 124
    I also think it looks like a senecio; perhaps one that was trained upwards instead of hanging down. 
  • Thank-you all for your input! I also suspected it was in the Albuca family, but it could also be from the Juncus genus. I will definitely have a deeper look now