Forum home Plants

What is this mystery plant?

Hi. I recently bought this at a plant sale - no tags provided. I have asked multiple horticulturalists, social media experts, and different plant nurseries... no-one has been able to identify this plant for me and I'm desperate to find out the correct care requirements!

• B3B3 Posts: 15,905
    What a strange plant! I thought it was a wind-up at first :D
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    Is it a succulent? Kinda looks like a senecio of some sort. Theres a variety called 'fish hooks' that has a similar habit but not quite the same. Yours could be a bit light starved and leggy though maybe. It looks like it wants to trail rather than climb.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,558
    Hello Grace. It looks as if it could be one of the Albuca family. If you research through them you might find your plant. Its very unusual.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    I had a look too, Ladybird4 but think Albucas are all bulbs?
    Though the curly ends look so right.
    You could take it out carefully and see.
    I also think it looks like it should trail down.

This site is my favourite bulb site many detailed photos. Albuca section:
    https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Albuca

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,558
    Yes, Rubytoo. They are all bulbous plants so I think your suggestion is a great idea.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 61
    I also think it looks like a senecio; perhaps one that was trained upwards instead of hanging down. 
  • Thank-you all for your input! I also suspected it was in the Albuca family, but it could also be from the Juncus genus. I will definitely have a deeper look now