Forum home Tools and techniques

Unlocking bamboo - a survey

Hello everyone,

I am a final year design student at Brunel University, currently researching for my major project. I am hoping to illuminate the usefulness of bamboo in the UK through the introduction of an innovative tool. I have constructed a very short survey to collect some preliminary data, if you could spare two minutes of your time it would be greatly appreciated.

All responses are anonymous and none of your personal data will be collected,

Thanks very much,

Will

https://goo.gl/forms/uJJxmcQjiR9jPjH32

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,835
    I've done the survey but I'm not sure that it'll be very helpful.  My garden is small and I wouldn't risk any type of bamboo, even the ones that are supposed to be non-invasive and certainly not anything big enough to make furniture out of!
  • All responses are helpful, I understand that a lot of people are worried about introducing bamboo. Luckily there are a few suppliers in the UK who can provide bamboo timber without the need to grow your own. Thanks for your feedback :smile:
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    Dunnit
    I haven't seen bamboo large enough for construction work growing in the UK
  • Thanks, that is the thing, it can actually grow that large in the UK but you need a very large poly-tunnel. I am focusing on a smaller scale really, but thought it would be interesting to hear what people know already,

Will
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,762
    Bamboo grows in Cornwall apparantly at the rate of 3’ a day. This is one year’s growth. 
    some places  it’s so tall you cant see the tops.
    This is in Trebah and the house is at the Eden Project.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• That's quite amazing, I need to pay a visit to the Eden project sometime soon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,762
    Oh yes William, please do, it’s beautiful, do you live in Devon or Cornwall, you can get a very cheap ticket that allows you unlimited entry. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.