Forum home Plants

out of season flowers?

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,521
Is anyone else having odd flowering plants this autumn? My summer flowering hebe is flowering well despite the cold and now I've got some lupins coming into flower. We've had a couple of frosts too but things seem determined to hold onto summer.
Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    My cosmos are still flowering  their socks off  and I have two hardy perennials  one geum and one potentilla in flower  

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,774
    -5° then -7° with hard frosts finished off every flower in my garden apart from the winter violas. In Dordogne.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,271
    Nothing unusual for me apart from some  Dianthus, but not all of them. The hotter summer, followed by the usual cold has possibly kept them going.
    Wild rocket is still going, but it always flowers forever. Native primulas, but they flower on and off all year round here. An orange agastache I grew from seed, but that's flowered well into autumn before. There was a stem of V. bonariensis flowering last month, but it was one that only reappeared in late summer after looking dead by spring, as they often do.

Apart from the dianthus, I certainly don't have anything still flowering out of the norm,  but I don't grow many 'flowery' perennials anyway.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....