I miss the dark

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    @LauraRoslin . I almost don't like to point out, think you may have missed a trick.

I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
    Sorry, I'll get my coat.....
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    edited November 2018
     :D  :D

wish I was a glow worm...........
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 2,041
    We used to stay in a cottage in The Lakes which was about 5 miles outside Ambleside where there are no lane lights on the way there. It got absolutely pitch black where you could not see a thing. I must confess I didn’t like it, it was quite scary. Having said that, our street lights have been changed to LED and they are awful, Harsh, dead light with an unnatural light.
    North East
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,713
    edited November 2018
     Nollie , I envy you your geographical location !
    At only about 42 degrees North in latitude , you can see 10 degrees more of the Southern sky than we can from the UK at any time of the year .
    That will make a mighty difference when observing Scorpius & Sagittarius in June/July.
    Antares (Alpha Scorpii) only just really skirts the Southern horizon here .
    Marvellous to consider that you're looking towards the galactic centre in this region .
    Recommend using binoculars .

Years ago I went to the Great Lakes area of Canada near the US border in June ; (Lat.42 degreesN) ; that 10 degrees makes the world of difference !
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,175
    Sounds as if you know your stars and constellations @Paul B3. We have a pretty good ‘scope that’s great for stargazing and birdwatching but our night sky is possibly a little bit more limited than you are imagining, surrounded by forested sierras and at the foot of one, the patch of sky we call ours is a bit tunnel-like.

Africa on the other hand, wow, such a vast infinity of starry skies - many moons ago now on Safari in the Masi Mara it was astonishing. Never forgot it. Never forgot the hippos munching the vegetation right outside the tent in the dead of a moonless night either - now that’s what I call scary!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895
    Street lights in our front, back garden pretty dark, I am actually afroaid of the dark, AND am night blind, all to do with having pale blue eyes, being short-sighted, the rods and cones not going back to purple fast enough, I can drink on roads I know really well or are lit.  babysat for the grandkids on Friday, bloke came home at 5, I could drive home till 10, so that I dont get cars in the opposie direction blinding me, if there were no street lights at night, I would have to hibernate!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895
    No I dont drink on the roads!!! I DRIVE on them, fell asleep on the sofa, suffering brain fog.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,759
    I will delete the image of a nanny kneeling down sipping from a shiny puddle in a pothole😆
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,713
    Nollie
    I see what you mean ; mountains are not always conducive to good astronomy ;);your
    Masai Mara experience sounds amazing .
    They reckon the best skies are in Chile (Atacama desert) at high altitude ; hence the construction of the VLT's down there .
    Would love to see that !
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,380
    Saw this yesterday and thought of this thread:
    https://www.timeout.com/london/news/leave-london-for-a-stargazing-haven-just-outside-the-city-112618

The best starry sky I have ever seen was from a boat on Lake Nasser. Astonishing.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero