I miss the dark

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,713
    B3

You ought to know better ! Didn't you know that Earth was 'created' by the one and only god . How amazing , and all in seven-days ! >:)
    Not sure about the intelligent life bit though :):
    Just think of all the geologists , astronomers , evolutionary biologists and physicists who've had it all wrong all these years .
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,762
    I suppose if you have to create life in billions of other planets, you can't afford to spend more than a few days on each one. So much to do - infinite time
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,713
    Maybe he/she/it was on piece-work at the time .

When was that incidentally????????......
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,430
    A bit too far to go but we were in The Gambia some years ago when there was a power cut in the evening.  A collective gasp went up from everybody sitting outside the hotel bar, not because of the power cut but because of the incredible starry sky.  It was an absolute blanket of stars, whereas in the UK most of us are lucky to see much more than the Plough!
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2018
    KT53 sounds like a real goosebumps moment, it gave me some reading it.

https://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoy/dark-night-skies/
    We went to Butser a little while back, to photograph the Milky way. Despite our optimistic approach to weather forecast, it didn't happen. But it was lovely and dark and low cloud cover made it very atmospheric and foggy :D

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,499
    Yeah, when there's cloud cover at night and no moon, it is really properly dark. My London friends completely freaked when they arrived here, turned their car headlights off and couldn't see their hands in front of their faces. The nearest streetlight is about 6 miles away. I keep a torch in the car but apparently Londoners don't. Or not not those Londoners, anyway.
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,080
    I think townies are lucky that mobile phones came along. I used to be asked a lot why I always carried a torch with me but when you live and work where there are no street lights it's a necessity. Now everyone has a phone with a nice bright screen. I can't kick the torch habit in the winter though.
  • I still carry a torch cos the phone light goes off after a minute or so.  
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,499
    I still carry a torch cos the phone light goes off after a minute or so.  
    most of them have a torch widget. It basically turns the camera flash led on - makes a very effective torch
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,175
    I’m really enjoying getting aquainted with the night sky in my new(ish) house as there is no light pollution, no streetlights and also really, really dark when it’s cloudy with no moon. There are torches scattered all around the house for occasional power blips -  useful to light your way to the fuse box!