I miss the dark

• Try the South Downs National Park, lots of dark sky sites. Locally we have the National Trust site on Black Down in Haslemere about an hour by train from Waterloo.
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    edited November 2018
    I think motorways should (at least) half the amount of lights on between the hours of 11 pm and 4 am.   It's not long but it would make an amazing difference to light pollution.   And all the office blocks and shops that have lights on over night should be set to turn off. 
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,762
    Thanks for the link obelixx . The South downs looks like the place  to try  steephill . The Birling Gap has a good path if I remember rightly
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,526
    Hope you get something without too big a journey B3.
    The Exmoor/Dartmoor area certainly looked quite good on the map I looked at, if you want to go a bit further, as r'girl suggested.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Knowing my luck, I'd go all the way down there and it'd rain for a week😕
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,526
    B3 said:
    Knowing my luck, I'd go all the way down there and it'd rain for a week😕

Probably be the same if you came up here too  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,080
    edited November 2018
    It happened to me when I went to Keilder forest. Reknowned for it's dark skies and red squirrels. It rained all week and we didn't see a star or a bushy tail. It was so wet that we were woken up one morning by ducks dabbling outside the camper van. Still a fun trip though.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,713
    Living on the outskirts of a small Lincolnshire market town near the Wolds ; we are still blessed with good dark skies . The Lincolnshire Wolds themselves have widely spread villages , often with virtually no lighting .
    Have often stopped the car on a Winters night up there ; first things to realise are the silence and the exceptional clarity of our starlit nights .
    If anyone's interested , that 'tiny' portion of the Milky Way visible in late summer directly overhead is but a smaller portion of what is known as the Perseus Arm .
    A mere 30,000 l.y. distant . Stunning through even small binoculars .
    Food for thought :- All those solar systems and possibly millions of earth-like planets!

Why on earth could anyone believe that there isn't intelligent life out there?
    There's even some here 🌎
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,713
    Speaking of switching lights off , our town is plunged into medieval darkness from 11-30pm - 6.00am every night .
    Council cutbacks , and very welcome too ; I also appreciate the splendour of a clear starlit night .