Forum home Tools and techniques

Heated Mat for Some Seedlings

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,593
Melons...................Germination needs 27 - 32 C
Latah tomatoes.......Germinates best at 24 - 32 C

These are a couple of veg that the packet says needs heat to germinate

I am in my 8th season now and I would like to start making " certain "of giving my seeds the best start and not just accepting  failures.

I have a conservatory and one small mat and a large wooden table and some window sill space

What is the experience of members on whether I need to buy a heated mat or do you have any experience / advice
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,104
    I have a heated mat, it's brilliant. It's about a metre long and as deep as my shelf in the greenhouse. Does need an electricity point. I sow seeds in trays on it, it helps them germinate and keeps them frost free. I also have 3 electric propagators. With all that in my GH it stops it getting too cold on chilly spring nights so I can grow on plants that don't like frost.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,519
    We use the Stewart variable heat propagators. They've been really good and you can control the temperature and humidity so the heat doesn't just dry the soil out. You fill the base with sand and stick the temperature probe/thermostat in the sand so it gives a pretty accurate, even heat to your seed trays.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
    I'm sure it says in the instructions to add soil/sand to the bottom of the Stewart's propagator.. 
    I made a soil warming bed in my greenhouse. It is the width of the bench down one side and half the length. Although the soil warming cable has not get a thermostat, I can vary the amount of heat in any one area by either covering the pots/trays with fleece or by using plastic 'cloches.' 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,104
    I use capillary matting in the propagator under the seed trays, which I keep damp. I recently bought new matting cheaply in Wilko when the old stuff wore out.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • KiliKili Posts: 439
    edited November 2018
    I have two of these  heated propagators with grow lights. This one and a smaller version.

There not cheap, they were cheaper when I bought them some time ago but, I thought what the heck I don't drink, don't eat out much the odd birthday and special occasions, the kids have all flown the roost so its just me the misses and the cat so I treated myself.

I use them in my garage from February with the lights on for approx 16-17 hours a day to grow from seed and when I want to force seedlings on to an early start and they work very well. Adjustable temperature control and the lights are proper T5 grow lights. Being in the garage you obviously don't take advantage of free daylight but the garage is a mite warmer than the greenhouse. The whole rig does not cost to much to run and is outweighed by the early start you get using a controlled environment.

Using a heat mat in the green house once seedlings have got to a sufficient size is something I will be doing in the future ( Two more years at the coal face them I'm out  :))

If you need capillary matting I bought from Amazon at what I think was a good price for 5 x 1 meter of the stuff, wont need to buy any for years with this amount.

Regards
    Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,593
    https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/categories/accessories/heat-mats/

Folks.........i have been guided by your comments

? What thoughts on these please    :*
    Once broad beans have sprouted should I turn off the heat ?

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,942
    Broad Beans are very tough and can even be planted direct outside in February in some milder parts of the country. So I would think yes,  once they show I would turn heat off or they will be too soft & leggy when you want to plant out, & will take longer to harden off.
    AB Still learning

Thanks AB............will do
    Already got the plot prepared
    I bought a heated mat from my friend at the Pet Shop that he uses for heating his chameleons

thefoodtalko

You posted at 3.04 this morning so you must be a burglar who just popped in  , a night worker or just back from the Pub  B)

very welcome though