Forum home Tools and techniques

Blackwall brand compost bin

RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
edited November 2018 in Tools and techniques
I just wondered if anyone has used or has this brand of bin. Like a Dalek with a hatch at the bottom.
I happily use Daleks without the opening. Prefer them without as I think the possibility is these hatches make a weak spot?
But they are cheap and a buy one get one half price sounds good for a 330 litre one.
This is through a council link locally. But it may be that many areas do have the same "deal".

They are just for leaf gathering, we have not many places to hide them and an open plan frontage means they have to look a little bit respectable even when loosely disguised/hidden.

I keep looking out for cheap second hand ones at the tip, last one I got was like new for £5 but not had luck lately and now desperate ( a bit tongue in cheek) found the above today.
 They did get a review as a best budget buy in a Gardeners World magazine, when it was I have no idea :D

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,963
    I acquired a couple of these last week. I am using one for oak leaves that have been gathered by a rotary mower, so chopped up a bit. The only problem I can see is that leaves need to be wet to make leaf mould well, so I have left the lid off and will give it a water from time to time. I usually use builders bags for leaves, left open, but I ran out this year.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    Thanks @fidgetbones. exactly the leaves I will be using ours for.
    I find that if anything Daleks get too wet if not careful, so my thought was they would hold the moisture longer once wetted.
    Just concerned the removable door thingies will pop off once they get weighed down and rotting.
    These came from my friends, they were filled with compost all summer and were fine. She has since sold her house, and not got a new one yet, so I acquired a lot of garden stuff and plants.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,118
    edited November 2018
    Not sure what brand mine are but they have the hatch at the bottom and I've never had any problems with them. They were also bought on a council special offer many years ago.
  • Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    I have similar. The hatch is useless as it's too small, but they still work fine and it's pretty secure. 
    Thank you all for the feedback. I don't think I will be using the hatches, but nice to know they will not be a pain.
    @fidgetbones, lucky you,  did you get the compost too? :D
    @Singing Gardener, and @Rose121 Thanks I thought the hatches seemed a good idea that might not work they do look small, easier to lift them off to get at compost.

This offer is funny the green ones cost a couple of pounds more than the black ones, all recycled plastic (good) I think, but the price difference is odd.

They used to be distributed locally, and you could collect them or have them delivered if you did not have transport.
    I don't mind the postage, they are cheap.
    But now they come from half way up country with the deal from council.... beats me!

I think we are collecting daleks. We have four bought or given. And awaiting delivery of two more....
    I feel a new discussion coming on.

I haven't paid for one yet. The council were giving them away a few years ago. Lots of people got them,as they were free,  then didn't use them. I think I am up to seven of differing sizes. Actually, make that ten. The biggest ones ( Square tardis) I only use for storage of done stuff. Small green ones useful for kitchen scraps over winter. Two green ones contents fit into one Rotol for second rot. The new black ones are currently being used for leaves.  A black one that comes in rings that lift off each other is a pain as the rings tend to blow about when it is not full.  The square tardis comes in kit form, and had to be gaffer taped to stop it popping apart.
    That is brilliant fidgetbones, not paying for any .
    I don't think our were ever given away free from council.
    Nearest I came to is a fiver for a very good second hand one from the local tip. They even wash them out. There were three or four different ones at the time, I only had a fiver on me for one, wish I could have got the others too.
    I kept eyes peeled but nothing lately.

And my mothers old one she had drilled holes in, that was a freebie. A normal cone "dalek".
    It got little white flies coming out the holes something that never happened with the others solid daleks.
    So I used it for some leaves which stopped the flies, very happy though it became unusable as Bumble bees moved in, it was brilliant watching them. I have not touched it since. Though I think they are gone. Worried there may be some overwintering queen.

Had to get something as my old wood leaf bin had finally rotted too much. Hence new ones.
    Thanks for the mini review of the others. Sure it will help lots of people looking.

Square Tardis :D Dr Who theme going on here.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 801
    edited November 2018
    I've a Blackwall one, under load, the hatches can pop out a bit, and you can break them over time.  The badgers broke into one of the daleks through this weak spot.  But with leaves, I'm sure it's fine.  I now push a pot up against the door.  It's a point of entry for rodents too.  They may allow for some air flow.  Ours are always wet, you can throw water in if it does get dry, but you'll find natural perspiration/evaporation from the ground rises in to.  At last that's what I think happens.  If I had a few I'd just fill then leave each on rotation.
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    I have one that was in the garden  when I  bought  the house. Alternate layers of kitchen food waste with paper or cardboard.  Tends to dry in Summer   so odd bucket of water needed  . Absolutely  full of small Red compost worms doing a fab job. Get a reasonable  compost from it every  year and by the way -scrap the hatch x