Compost mould? Good? Bad? Nothing really?

So I bought a tonne bag of soil conditioning compost, adding it to raised beds and the veg patch. On the larger areas I've put it on it has developed a white mould. It looks slightly dusty not fluffy anad when I zoom in it almost looks like snow.

I've looked at various online pictures but nothing seems to match. Anyone have any ideas? Is it harmful to my plants? I'm currently holding off on transplanting into the new beds until I know if it's unpleasant or not. Thanks :smile:

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,468
    I don't think it will do any harm. I've come across it and still used the compost. I think it's fungi, but there are a lot of fungi that actually help plants to grow. There was a post about something similar here a little while back.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,611
    edited November 2018
    It is indeed some type of fungal mycellium but that is helping to break down the woody material into a form that plants can take in as nutrients and is perfectly normal.  It naturally happens when compost is mixed into the soil so you don't often see it.  Definitely not harmul to your plants, rather the opposite I would say. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • lanajane77lanajane77 Posts: 1
    I also have patches of this mould in my soil, I came across this forum whilst looking for somewhere to have the soil tested as the mould always seems to be where plants have died, this made me think it was what was killing the plants, it's quite a relief to know it's just naturally helping decompose the dead plant material, I have been worried about replanting in the same area. 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,017
    Wont do any harm at all you might even find tiny mushrooms (NOT EDIBLE) here and there just dig it in, it may return but probably not.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog