Forum home Tools and techniques

Cleaning lawn mower

What ho one and all,

Want to give my lawn mower a good clean.  What is the best way to get it spruced up?  The pressure washer springs to mind, but perhaps that is not so good.  or may be it is for the underside which has a layer of mud / grass / leaf mulch. 

I do scrap the underside after every use, but it is hardly 'clean.'

Would the pressure washer be OK if it is running?

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

• What sort of mower is it?   Hover or blade?
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • RekusuRekusu Posts: 51
    Sorry, should have included that info.  It is a regular bladed, self propelled  mower; nothing special.  It does have a hose fitting on the deck for cleaning the underside, but the once I used it, I found it to be virtually useless as the water did not get to every nook and cranny.

I therefore assume that a pressure washer from below is OK, but a pressure washer can squirt water to places  that water should not get to.
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 264
    Give the underside a good scraping and wire brushing and then waxoiling to stop corrosion
  • RekusuRekusu Posts: 51
    Always do scrap most of the gunk off when finished.  But in turning it almost on its side, it is either very difficult to start and when it does, there is a lot of smoke.  Obviously oil.

Presumably is is best to drain the oil and fuel and then I am good to go for an upside down clean?

May be it is easier / better to remove the engine from the deck?
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 264
    Never turn a rotary mower on its side as fuel and oil contaminate the air filter or fill the exhaust  only lift so that spark plug is up and secure handle to ground also disconnect spark plug lead always
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,480
    Found the instructions which came with our machine. Warns not to use Power Washer as the water can get into the inner workings.