Forum home Plants

Red/purple rose for a pillar?

Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
I'm looking for something for a 6ft obelisk that will have lots of scent and not get out of control. Was thinking Tess of the d'urbervilles, but the Austin site only marks it medium for scent. Any recommendations? 

• A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    Thanks, I hadn't heard of that variety before! Great colour. 
    I've come across two interesting varieties: had anyone got experience of either?

Wild rover ( deep purple spicy scent, repeat flowerng) 

Chateau De close vougeot ( concerned it might not repeat very well).
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,644
    I have 'Wild Rover'... I was just about to recommend it to you actually...
    If you want 'Chateau de Clos Vougeot', you need to make sure you get the climbing version of this older Hybrid Tea... 

There are many others you could consider too..
    For an Austin I grow 'Thomas a Becket', it can be trained on a 6 foot obelisk as I have done that already..  I think the scent is better than on Tess personally, but it is a thorny rose..

You might also consider 'Souvenir de Claudius Denoyel'...

I'll post a couple of photos later if you like...
    East Anglia, England
    @Rose121

..here are some photos of 'Wild Rover' in my garden if you're interested in this variety... the scent is quite strong of cloves..

It's a climbing floribunda rose, flowers all summer and has large thick leathery foliage...  it might get some blackspot in August but I don't take any notice of that, it will soon recover..  I now have it on an arch but in these photos it's on a wooden post as a pillar rose..  it's capable of growing towards 10 feet but 6 to 8 feet is easily managed.. there are very few thorns on this rose which is another bonus..

..the blooms can vary in colour depending on the temperatures... they get redder when it's hot...

'Thomas a Becket' on a 6 foot obelisk...

East Anglia, England
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    There was another thread on red roses a while ago which may be of interest, Rose121 , https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1015159/dark-red-rose/p1 .

Would Wild Rover be ok in full, southerly sun @Marlorena ? Interesting you say the colour gets redder in the heat, that sound tempting for me.

I am just about to order a Gruss an Teplitz climbing red rose for the back of my sunny border where it has plenty of height to climb. I am hoping that will stay red in the sun.

On the purple front, Night Owl looks rather lovely, strong spice/clove scent, they say,  apparently can be trained as a short climber (only to 4ft tho’).
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
    @Nollie

oh that's nice, I'm delighted you're getting a 'Gruss an Teplitz' rose... mine stays mostly a dark red lightening to dark pink as the blooms age...   I had trouble containing it to 6 foot or so, it wants to grow to 10 or 12 feet, so I've since moved the rose to another position with more scope..

As for 'Night Owl'... yes a lovely colour although I've heard that 'Twilight Zone' is the better rose of the two, but I don't have either of these at the moment..  neither seem tall enough for a 6 foot obelisk, but they might get there over time, with suitable training..

https://jonestherose.co.uk/hybrid-tea/374-a-whiter-shade-of-pale-peafanfare.html 

^that should link to 'Twilight Zone'... not a whiter shade of pale..
    East Anglia, England
    Oh you asked about 'Wild Rover' in full southerly sun... well this summer which was very hot for us, my rose was fine and it's in a full on sun position, and as I said I noticed the flowers turned a reddish/orange during the hottest periods, rather than the darker colours you see above..   it's not something I've noticed before as we don't usually get that sort of heat... but they were definitely lighter than what you see in my photos but this lightening occurred towards August time if I recall...

East Anglia, England
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    Thank you @Marlorena, your advice, as ever, is much appreciated. The G an T I chose on the basis of an earlier recommendation of yours, it will have room to grow to as much as 14ft in the space I have in mind for it, if it wants to.

Twilight Zone looks an amazing colour, but I’m feeling the need for a few more with open-flowered blooms. I might just add a Wild Rover to my order, I am sure I will find a space for it. I like the idea that it may turn orangy red, rather than pink, although I am beginning to accept that I can’t really have a really dark red or purple rose in my climate.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
    Thanks all, particularly for those photos @Marlorena . I think Wild Rover is the one - I don't want something that ends up just being pink, which I fear Thomas Becket might well do (my Benjamin Britten does in the sun). I'd definitely prefer it bleaching to orange/red. It also looks a perfect height for the spot.