Forum home Garden design

Climbers for shady alley

I have a very shady alleyway at the side of my house bordering on the next in the terrace.One part gets sun for about one hour a day and thats it  The garden side of the fence gets a few more hours but only early in the morning. It is north facing and the sun is blocked by the house for the early part of the day.

I really need some summer flowering climbers to disguise the fence which can be planted in pots.  Any ideas Thanks    

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,788
    That's a difficult one. You might be better off thinking about tall upright plants that will go in pots, rather than climbers which usually need a large root run. You could try a couple of upright bamboos perhaps and maybe one of the smaller clematis in the sunniest spot. Hopefully other posters may have some better suggestions.   
  • I am happy with pots as I have just layed that wooded run in the darkest part of the alleyway which you can see in the picture. Maybe I could them move them around if necessary to get them some sun
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,788
    That's always an idea. I liked your wood flooring but you may find it gets very green and slippery if most of it's in shade over the winter, so be a bit careful!
  • I used wood colouring and then finished with decking oil so they seem OK. They are old scaffold cleaned up. Thanks
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,540
    If you are able to plant in the ground where there is a bit more sun and train your climber towards the shady alleyway, and prepared for some protection in the first two years near the root area, Solanum Laxum can smother that wall quite quickly. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,286
    Unless you can create some big planters, most climbers will struggle in pots, especially if you don't have anything bigger than the ones in the pictures. Many climbers don't need a lot of sun, but they need something with a reasonable spread and depth to grow in if you want them to thrive and get to a decent size. 
    There are probably shrubs which would do better than climbers in big pots. Euonymous will 'climb' when against a wall or fence. Viburnums and Philadelphus would be fine, again assuming the pots are big. Some Viburnums are evergreen too. Osmanthus would also be fine in that situation and are happy in big containers. 

I think you also might be kidding yourself if you think that timber surface  won't be slippy after the winter rain and dampness  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 18,679
    You could probably get Jasmine to grow there either out of the ground or in a large trough of container. I have one that seems to live on practically nothing ( ie I never feed it apart from a handful of fertiliser once a year) in a shady part of my patio.
    It will need pruning to keep it under control but that's easy enough to do.
    In London. Keen but lazy.