Forum home Garden design

Lay new lawn now or wait .....?

2»

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,015
    It does look nice. My worry with laying turf in winter is the risk of frost before it’s established. I don’t know where you live and how likely a frost is, or not, but if it were my garden I would be thinking of how to protect the new lawn in the event of frost or worse a prolonged frozen spell.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Tiny01Tiny01 Posts: 72
    Redwing said:
    It does look nice. My worry with laying turf in winter is the risk of frost before it’s established. I don’t know where you live and how likely a frost is, or not, but if it were my garden I would be thinking of how to protect the new lawn in the event of frost or worse a prolonged frozen spell.
    I live in an area that is claimed to be the warmest / driest climate in the UK ( South East Essex ) though you wouldn’t think it of late lol ! 
    I did take advise from the turf suppliers / growers & they said it’ll be fine as long as it’s not laid whilst the ground is frozen , it was a balmy 11 degrees here on Sunday:) 
    But yes I’ll keep an eye on the weather as I always do 
    Perki said:
    Looks great Tiny  :) I hope you don't want to get the shed ( don't walk on it ). Do you know what variety of turf/grass you went with ? did you buy a golf green turf in the end
    Hi Perki 

yes getting into my manroom is a mission at the mo , it’s a walk round to the right hop up onto the walled raised flower bed and in lol ! 
    Before I had a double width block pavier path through the centre but I was forever digging out weeds so that had to go when the new lawn was started , I’ll probably add a path alongside the raised flower bed but not until the spring now , I’ve fenced the whole lawn off to stop our little dog doing he’s business on the lawn as unable to clear it up as not going to walk on it . 
    Yes went with the golf green / tees turf in the end 
    Hi all 

just to update this one , I managed to get the 1st cut on the new lawn this weekend , very pleased with the results so far . 

Now to start with the lawn care programme of scarifying , aeration a and top dressing . 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,082
    I wouldn't bother with scarifying or aerating a new lawn @Tiny01 it shouldn't need it. Top dressing is fine to smooth out any little divots or combined with over seeding any bare patches. 

Assess Scarifying and aerating around late September into October.

Try not to cut to short on the first cut as well, gradually lower the cutting height over a few cuts.