Forum home Tools and techniques

What use for old ridge tiles?

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 419
Hi
We've just had our ridge tiles replaced and have a heap of old ones that are relatively intact. As I hate waste I wondered if I could use them in the garden. My initial thought was to build some sort of bug hotel but am open to all ideas.
I know you're a creative lot, so suggestions welcome  :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759
    It depends what shape they are, what material they are and how many you have.  We have some plain, flat slate tiles we're thinking of using pushed in vertically as border edging so we can build up mulch and thus moisture and nutrient levels for two new beds we've made.   We also have lovely curved terracotta tile lying around that would lend themsleves to all sorts of different structures - https://www.pinterest.fr/eaglerooftile/repurposed-roof-tiles/?lp=true

The thing about terracotta is it absorbs moisture which, in winter, causes freezing and flaking so best not used as border edging but could be used as part of an insect hotel for critters that like crevices.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,881
    Lots of uses I would think, like a roof for a bird table or box, edging borders and ponds, creative stacks, screens, sculptures - have a look at Andy Goldsworthy and other environmental artists for some inspiration?
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 419
    @Obelixx I like the wine rack! Not strictly for the garden, but hey. The tiles are ridge tiles off the apex of the roof so they are like two-sided triangles if that makes sense, and they are terracotta. I can post a pic tomorrow
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759
    You can stabilise terracotta by painting it with a couple of coats of acrylic varnish.  That will make it much les sporous but not toxic for critters and won't change how it looks if you use matt finish.  Dries quickly so you can repeat after just 2 hours.

I use 3 coats of satin finish on terracotta planters and that works well for me.  No more than 3 tho or it goes milky.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,263
    That sounds a good idea Obelixx.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,339
    Edging and bug hotel roof sounds good. You Could paint them, maybe make an alpine trough with them, make signage/art, use them to cover over weed patches to block light? I have an over lapping section of tiles in the garden to stop a tenacious patch of magicians nightshade coming back. It works pretty well. If in doubt I would keep them for future use. Yourself, a friend or neighbour will find a good use for them at some point. 
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,879
    We used terracotta corner tiles on  end around a shrub then back filled with compost.its now a feature on the iris bed.
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 419
    These are the ridge tiles, probably about 25 of them. Also some leftover ordinary slates. OH says I've got 3 million other things I want to get done in the garden so is this just adding to the list of things to be stressed about not doing. Neighbour said Gumtree.

I might just stack them in a corner somewhere till I get round to doing something with them, which will provide a home for some beasties at least.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,161
    Personally, l would keep the best of the triangular shaped ones, they are decorative and the ideas above (sempervivums etc) would make nice features out of them. The rest Gumtree or Freecycle maybe. If you are getting stressed with all the things to be done, get rid of what you don't want and let someone else make use of them.  :)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,339
    A great beast hotel right there, with some added straw, wood and mud.