Forum home Problem solving

Can anyone help identify this tree/shrub?

Not sure what tree/shrub this is? It has green leaves till now, and gets red berries. 
The leaves do fall but some remain ? 

• It also flowers small white clusters of flowers
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000
    Maybe Cotoneaster cornubia ? This can reach the proportions of a small tree .
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    It is a Cotoneaster. Some like that do partially lose leaves, in batches, some seem more "evergreen" over a longer term.
    There are so many cultivars in the Cotoneaster group.
    That is a nice old specimen.

I think the leaves look a little pointy for cornubia (sorry to Paul B3). Perhaps more like watereri which are a touch narrower.

Ours has had more leaves yellowing like that this year, due to the long hot summer.

• Thank you both, yes I think may be the watereri. 
    Ive just got a puppy and wanted to check if berries are harmful? 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited November 2018
    I would say do not take my word as Gospel.
    But pretty sure they are low on the toxicity lists. Generally they would give a human child a bit of a belly ache if they ate too many, vomit or diah dire...the runs. Can't think why they would, they don't taste nice and are rather dry.
    So as a poison to your puppy I imagine it would be the same. The are not poisonous, but ingested in quantity might make a little puppy poorly.

I would treat puppy like a child who does not listen .
    And try and remember to ask your vet next time you are there, they should be able to tell you or give you a hopefully reliable site to check . Don't know if MAFF does a list?
    A reliable university or hospital link would be a good place to check for toxicity levels.
  • Thank you Rubytoo, will check when I’m at the vets. 
    Its a beautiful tree!