Forum home Garden design

What should do with land under trees

HELP! I’m looking for inspiration... this is my front garden :-/ i’m Looking for low maintenance suggestions on what I could do here. Should I plant it with shade loving plants or would it be possible to grow grass under the trees! 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,826
    Spring flowering bulbs such as daffodils, early flowerers such as foxgloves.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I'm with fidgetbones.  The trees are a magnet for birds to visit, so keeping the need for low maintenance plants and wildlife I would plant spring flowering bulbs (probably too late for the coming Spring now although we did buy a few daffodil bulbs from B&Q today) if you purchase bulbs now check that the bulbs aren't too dry and past their best, add woodland anemones and some wild flower seeds or plug wild plants in the Spring.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,499
    In a similar area under mature ash trees we have hellebores, native daffodils, snowdrops, native primroses, arum italicum, vinca major, geranium phaeum, dryopteris ferns, iris foetidissima, Sweet woodruff, lamium maculatum, cyclamen coum, digitalis purpurea, lonicera periclymenum and ribes odoratum, Anthriscus sylvestris Ravenswing  ... oh and Clematis Montana grandiflora.   I hardly ever do any ‘gardening’ in that area of the garden ... I just leave it all to get on with it. 

Why would you want a carport when you when you can have all that beauty?  :)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,848
    I'd go for bulbs and spring-flowering woodlanders in the area under the trees too. Dove's list is excellent - I think I'd just add pulmonaria, brunnera and native English bluebells.  Grass won't do well there, and I think there's enough gravel in the foreground area (driveway?).  It would be a shame to pave or gravel under the trees as well.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,499
    Of course, I've got pulmonaria and brunnera there as well ... just hadn't had enough coffee yet ... there's probably others I've missed too ... I'll put the kettle on ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• woodland garden plants, so
    trillium's, hosta's, ferns, Japanese maples, smaller bamboo's (clumpers- not runners), brunnera (jack frosts a good one), epimediums, hellebore's, tree ferns, bulbs of every description (blue bells, snow drops, aconites, daffodils), fox gloves, primroses...i could go on and on
  • I do have a few more pictures we have a large gravel driveway and currently have a garage under construction so no more parking required unless I have lots of parties! I do like the idea of making it pretty and colourful but fear i’m Limited with the huge trees. 
  • Please excuse the building material we had major work completed on the roof inthe summer the lawn has since recovered. The trees and land in my first picture sit before the gravel so the hide the house from the road. 
  • JennyJ said:
    I'd go for bulbs and spring-flowering woodlanders in the area under the trees too. Dove's list is excellent - I think I'd just add pulmonaria, brunnera and native English bluebells.  Grass won't do well there, and I think there's enough gravel in the foreground area (driveway?).  It would be a shame to pave or gravel under the trees as well.
    English bluebells do appear in clumps but that is the only flower I have ever seen grow in the space. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,295
    Never mind the garden, what a gorgeous house!